Getting car insurance cover for carer coming from US

Fourteen

A relative has been diagnosed with cancer and lives alone a distance from the hospital where treatment is being done. Family all abroad, one family member came home this week from US to help, including driving to the hospital for appointments. However, the insurance company is refusing to temporarily add her to the patient's policy as she was added a few years ago for a few weeks when she was home for a visit. They say it's only allowed once.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Driving to the hospital & for doctor's appointments is vital.

Yes, but would be expensive for an extended stay, plus there's a car sitting outside the patient's door but she just can't get cover with full US driving licence.

May need to change her insurance provider.

Why not ring a broker and see what they can come up with?

Is GoCar or Yuko available near them? Not sure if US driver's licences work on them but could be an option.

Are international driving licences a thing of the past? Working for a multinational in the days of the old Irish licence, I had to carry one to rent cars in the US, Canada. How is it US citizens can rent cars here and get insurance on their own licences?

Maybe try quotedevil.ie who advertise that they can supply cover in unusual circumstances. It may mean moving to that broker's preferred insurer, but they're pretty competitive anyway

Are international driving licences a thing of the past?
I remember having to get one of these for my first road trip in France back in 1990
But any road trips that we've done this century, USA & Europe AFAIK there is no legal reason to have one
Have never been asked for one when renting in the US just the standard driving licence is all that is required

Back