getting an engineer to oversee work on an old bungalow -cost

NOAH

I have read the previous threads on engineers but a bit confused. I have all the plans drawn up for work I want done on a bungalow, ie extensions at back and front, knock down flat foofed structure at front and rebuild with garage and room, all with pitched roof. The architect did all the work, I found the original plans for bungalow otherwise these would have to be re-drawn as well. Architect did a few mock ups, made a few suggestions, we agreed and then architect sent off to get planning permission, and at same time did construction plans. For all of this I paid ?3068 inc vat. I had trouble getting anybody. The quotes I am getting are way above what architect thought they should be. So I now went to a building engineer to get advice on foundations, rsj's, to do about 5 or 6 site visits and sign off work. I already have the moeny borrowed so no need for stage payments. this is going to cost me 2000 plus vat at 21%. Engineer said usual price is 1500 plus vat.

I have to go direct to keep costs down and dont know enough to shop around for an engineer as a bit of a newbie when it comes to builidng work. I am paying out a lot and still have nothing done. Is there anybody or organisation that can control these costs or is just a free for all? 5 viists for 2000 is 200 a visit!!

The engineer said a letter would be sent outlining the work. What must I be wary of? I just want the work done properly eg the correct rsj used, proper footings, correct roof timbers and so on. This by the way is a nightmare so far. By the time this is finished I will know how to do everything myself!!

Please someone make it simple.]

NOAH

Get your hands on a copy of The House Builders Bible. You can get it on Amazon.
[broken link removed]

Good luck with your build.

2000 sounds about right, if not a bit on the low side. As a guideline expect to pay about 2.0% of the contract sum for the works.

He/she probably has to do about 16-20 hours design and detailing 'behind the scenes' in order to specify RSJ's, foundations etc. Visits are additional at say 5x2.5hrs = 12.5 (incl travel). so all in all, about 30 hours work. This works out at about €67 per hour.

How much would you expect to pay a doctor/solicitor/pharmacist etc per hour? €200, €300???

As for the visits, your not paying for the visit, you are paying for the expertise.

Dont forget that the builder will walk away from the job, the engineer cant. Just make sure he/she has PI insurance.

Finally, make sure you get a GOOD engineer. Bad ones overspecify and the difference in construction costs can be double or treble their fee. Very bad ones underspecify which can lead to a world of problems later.

Best of luck!

Back