Getting AIB to pay for apt. valuation fee

tolkarovers

Hi Everyone,
I'm been approved for 300k mortgage with AIB and I'm to get them to cover the valuation fee (considering I will pay 200k in interest over 35 years I don't think this is unresonable). They have agreed if we take life cover with them but their quote is too expensive.

Has anyone been able to do this before?

Thanks,
Rich

Hmmm,maybe slightly off the point,but I switched to Ulster bank & they are very slow in paying the valuation fee! as well

In general I find it's not the best option to take out life assurance/ house insurance with the lender. The valuation fee isn't expensive at around €130 - how much extra is the life assurance going to cost you if you go with Ark Life?

Have you tried other lenders for the mortgage ? Send off the application and tell AIB that you will go elsewhere. You could take a chance and tell them you're going elsewhere anyway and see what they say. I would definitly not agree to take insurance with them on that condition. AFAIK the bank get something like 90% comission on the first years insurance so that's why they want that condition in there. They stand to gain even more off you if you take their insurance so stand your ground.
Note : I should state that AIB are not my favorite bank for reasons I stated here

Back