getting ahead was easy with property, how to stay ahead?

Sorry, I did a quick keyword search of this thread and couldn't find a mention of pension.
Taking an example of someone selling up. Mid forties, mortgage of 200,000 outstanding on a house they just got 450000 for. They're paying income tax at the higher rate.
The first obvious place to invest is in your pension up to the max tax free cut-off point. 25% when you are in your forties.
I assume people bought their investment properties as their pension(early or not). So...... wouldn't it be best to maximise your pension contributions even if it means dipping in to your lump sum for day to day living expenses and try to funnel as much of the income in to a pension for the next few years and just keep it on deposit in the meantime.

I'll assume these people are busy living their lives and don't have time to actively manage an investment so a pension really seems to be a good place to invest.
Also they're selling up on the assumption the market has topped and may drop so how many good investments will be left locally?

Sorry, I did a quick keyword search of this thread and couldn't find a mention of pension.
Taking an example of someone selling up. Mid forties, mortgage of 200,000 outstanding on a house they just got 450000 for. They're paying income tax at the higher rate.
The first obvious place to invest is in your pension up to the max tax free cut-off point. 25% when you are in your forties.
I assume people bought their investment properties as their pension(early or not). So...... wouldn't it be best to maximise your pension contributions even if it means dipping in to your lump sum for day to day living expenses and try to funnel as much of the income in to a pension for the next few years and just keep it on deposit in the meantime.

I'll assume these people are busy living their lives and don't have time to actively manage an investment so a pension really seems to be a good place to invest.
Also they're selling up on the assumption the market has topped and may drop so how many good investments will be left locally?

Me confused. Whats the difference between a 'pension' and pile of assets giving off cashflow? Are you talking about an Irish PRSA?

I agree with you on this one I believe high levels of inflation is what we are going to get. Inflation is less bad than deflation to over borrowed western countries. Deflation would cripple America and would result in a rapid swing in power and wealth towards Asia. This is because with deflation the huge savings in asia would be rising in value and the debts owed to them would also be rising. Therefore if there is the slightest hint of deflation then the Fed will ease off on interest rates. However this will not result in investors rushing back into property. I believe the high inflation rates will reduce the real debt load over time but also the real value of property because I believe that inflation will be much higher than interest rates or property. I think the property all over the world will resemble Japans bear market of the last 15 years and the bear market in gold and commodities which lasted 20 years. Therefore I think the winners with high inflation will be gold and commodities and the housing bubble will take 20 years to unwind. I think it will be much worse than what happened in britain in the 1980s because this is a global bubble not a local one.

Bingo. This is also line with my view....

Me confused. Whats the difference between a 'pension' and pile of assets giving off cashflow? Are you talking about an Irish PRSA?
No mention of PRSA either up until now.

No cash coming out of a pension in the near future but most people aren't looking for a big pile of cash(at least that's my experience of the people I know), if they are already comfortable they are just looking for security, an earlier retirement and the potential to pass on the money they put in to their pension to their children which depending on what they decide to do with the pension fund on maturity is quite possible.

No mention of PRSA either up until now.

I think w2dw's point was "what is a pension"? When you say you are investing in a pension you mean you are giving the money to a pension fund manager to invest in an asset class (or in several) on your behalf. This may be more tax efficient than investing yourself but that is a side issue. It still doesn't answer the question of in what asset classes should that money ultimately reside.

I think w2dw's point was "what is a pension"? When you say you are investing in a pension you mean you are giving the money to a pension fund manager to invest in an asset class (or in several) on your behalf. This may be more tax efficient than investing yourself but that is a side issue. It still doesn't answer the question of in what asset classes should that money ultimately reside.

OK. point taken but with the tax relief on pensions it's hard to find investments that perform as well and that's my main point; it's at that point that most people would stop considering actively investing and start concentrating on the merits of individual pension plans.

Did selling property in france hit you in the pocket tax wise as i too have a property over there??

Back