Getting a mortgage even though we are separating

Steve99

Myself and my wife are very likely going to separate in the near future. We have one child together. We are in rented accommodation and were intending to buy a home together.

I want to continue that plan of buying a home together so they have a home to live in. We will need to get a joint mortgage to afford a house as my wifes salary alone will not be enough to get them a house.

My plan is to move out and rent. I can afford to make the mortage payment and cover my own future rent.

My question is, will a bank still give us a joint mortgage if we separate and I am renting elsewhere? We have a deposit saved and are both working.

Oh dear, sorry but this sounds like a disaster to me but in answer to this
will a bank still give us a joint mortgage if we separate and I am renting elsewhere?
Doubtful, it depends on your income but that is if you tell them about what your future plan is.

Certainly not if you tell them you are separating, they will want an agreement in place before proceeding once they know.

Could be a fair old mess though if you go ahead jointly without sorting out what will happen in future.

I can afford to make the mortage payment and cover my own future rent.

Circumstances can change for any of us and you may not be able to afford it for some reason in the future.
Really not a good idea overall.

Back