Home Getcover.ie Not happy with them

PaddyW

Received my renewal quote from getcover.ie for home insurance. Amount was 250.00. However, having visited their site and put in the same details it comes out at almost a whopping 70 euro cheaper! Do all insurers try this craic. What would you do, abandon them totally or insist you get it at a cheaper price again?

Its a new business offer all companies do it from time to time, if you contact them and tell them you got a cheaper price on the site they may match the price.

It happened with me last year (not with getcover.ie) and my company matched the price

Thinking of going with getcover for my renewal as my existing insurer are looking for €100 more than last year and I can get getcover for €50 euro cheaper than last year ie €150 cheaper than current quote.
Anyone any experience with them in claiming?

Was looking at this company and was wondering why they offered such low prices....only to find they have an excess of €1,000 for water of oil claims.

Most other house insurance policies would give you a general excess of €250, so I donlt know if its worth taking the risk of a cheaper premium over a much higher excess.

Also consider the cold weather we are getting in more recent years and the higher risk of pipes bursting etc. Can you afford to pay the first €1k??

i never accept the initial renewal offer, these companies always leave room for negotiations. Tell them you were quoted lower from another company (ie. €70-€100 lower than the offer) and ask them to match it.

Was looking at this company and was wondering why they offered such low prices....only to find they have an excess of €1,000 for water of oil claims.

Most other house insurance policies would give you a general excess of €250, so I donlt know if its worth taking the risk of a cheaper premium over a much higher excess.

Also consider the cold weather we are getting in more recent years and the higher risk of pipes bursting etc. Can you afford to pay the first €1k??

In view of the the number of burst pipe claims there has been the days of a small excess for these claims is coming to an end and you will see increased excesses more frequently.

Standard excess for this now is €500 in the best cases. Water damage excess is now seperate from your standard excess.

In view of the the number of burst pipe claims there has been the days of a small excess for these claims is coming to an end and you will see increased excesses more frequently.

Customers need to shop around and not accept higher excess for different type of claims. If your willing to pay the first €500/€1,000 when claiming by all means do, but you have the majority of companies on a standard €250 excess for all claims.

I would gladly pay an extra €100 on my premium to have an excess of €250 rather than having a cheap premium and paying the first €1000.

Due to the increased number of claims in recent months. There will not only be increases in premiums and excesses but also changes of T&C's eg snow damage as policies renew.

A word of warning, be very careful when switching insurer for house insurance, you MUST read the T&C's and ensure that all claims are disclosed no matter how small or there could be tears...

Patrick

Back