get joint account closed

liger79

hi,

I'm trying to get a joint account closed that i had with my ex, it was needed up to now because over mortgage payents but our house has sold and theres no need for it now, but of course the ex wants to leave it open for historical value, I know this is bull and so does she, shes employed by a bank.

Is there anyway to force this account to be closed or frozen, she has a cheque book and laser on it and while theres no o/d on it i know not all transactions go thru clearing. I spoke with the branch and they said they cant do anything unless they get her sig on the forms, but surely this must be a common situation.

Any help?

If there are no funds in the account and with no overdraft limit it is unlikely the bank will allow it become overdrawn. I would suggest you should write to the bank indicating that you no longer wish to be liable on the account and ask them to acknowledge your letter.

Are both of you required as signatories for any transaction via DD or cheque on the account?, if so, the other party cannot do anything without your say so. If not, you should check with the bank to see if this allows you to close the account on your own

the ex has a cheque book and laser/guarentee card. I wouldn't put it past her to use them. the bank then has to pay out for the cheques and put the account overdrawn.

its repayable to either

It is strange how some banks will allow withdrawls "payable to either" but other changes on the account require two signatures, including closing the account.

If she is employed by the same bank it would look a bit "boiler bunny" to her employers if she refused to close the account against your express wishes.

Certainly write to the bank and put on record that you no longer have an interest in the account.

Back