Get it in writing - agreements with bank!

liger79

Hi,

I've posted a couple of issues in the past month or so here. On both occasions some advice has been to speak to bank and get agreements in writing.

Well the other day i had a very nice discussion with an advisor in branch. We spoke about available options and hearing what he said could be done had been a great relief, until i asked for something in writing. When i asked for this i was told to ring the mortgage centre and discuss with them what we had spoken about as they need to issue everything but of course when i rang them it was a total contradiction to what was said in branch.

I was due a callback on friday but it never came, so i need to get back to them on monday. I had wasted all my phone credit on hold during first call so couldn't get them again on friday.

Has anyone here been able to get agreement in writing from their bank? Was it via branch or call centre? how long did it take?

Also

I find it very impersonal dealing with call centres and feel that when trying to re-arange your mortgage, sell in Neg equity etc. things out of the normal that you should be able to talk face to face with someone and if processing or something needs to be done that they could liase with their colleagues instead of the customer making a call and trying to explain everything from the start again to someone new. Someone that cleary has been handed a manual and told that this is the black and white stuff you can and can't deal with. There is so much that falls in between that these days that they should throw the manual out the door.

The stress of all of this is just so bad, i think i'm starting to get an ulcer!!!

Has anyone here been able to get agreement in writing from their bank? Was it via branch or call centre? how long did it take?

Yes, when AIB first introduced their tracker, I thought it was too good to be true. :) So, as their were giving the first year of the mortgage at an even lower fixed rate, I got it in writing that I would be moved on to the tracker at the then rate at which I took out the mortgage, at after the first year. They initially said their systems could not produce such a letter, but I asked they did they not have an copy of Microsoft Word on any of their computers, and after a consultation with a manager I got my letter.

This was with their 'cell centre' for want of a better word. Subsequently I had to call into a branch to get a form they forgot to send me. The woman in the branch said the the young ones in that section did not know what they were doing, and right she was... Initially they had a systems crash and lost several days worth of applicants details, including mine. They even sent my actual mortgage documents to the house I was buying, the solicitor and I were ringing/emailing the bank day after day looking for them. Only found out when I walked into the house several months later and found them (opened) waiting on the mantelpiece for me...

Get it in writing

I had a problem last year with my AIB Visa account. I just could not meet the payments. After exchanging many letters, I eventually got a phone call from a Manager in head office. After spending some time discussing my problem the manager said that he "would write the account off as a bad debt" and he assured me that the Bank would not pursue me any more about the debt, but would leave the debt as a judgement mortgage on my home. I asked him to put it in writing for me. He said that he would, but I never got it. Neither did I get any more calls or letters.

I think all these advisors are too scared to put anything down on paper, you go into meetings and discuss your issues but when push comes to shove they wont back up what they say in writing to cover their own rear ends.

I have fixed my mortgage for another couple of years and I haven't even got it in paper that they fixed it and have agreed to fix it. It really is something else.

When I was selling my house and buying another one, I got a very rough amount of how much I could borrow from the sales guy in AIB based on my salary. He was a bit vague, and kept saying 'it looks like you are good for it' but at least I had an idea of how much I could bid on another house. He wouldn't give it to me in writing even though I asked, as I thought a mortgage in principal would always be in writing. That was last June. In January I was putting bids on a house and I was almost at my limit, so I rang him to ask could I go up another 10k or so on my offer. As he had been so vague about the lending amount I needed to check with him was it ok. He said, sure that amount we said we could lend you expired after 6 months!!! Of course this was never mentioned at the original meeting.

It was quite annoying as at least if I had had something in writing this would probably have been on it. As it was he had to rush through the approval for the extra amount and I had to submit my up to date payslips again.

It all worked out and I got my house, but I did think it was a strange way to go about it. I don't trust verbal agreements at all.

Hi,

Well the other day i had a very nice discussion with an advisor in branch. We spoke about available options and hearing what he said could be done had been a great relief, until i asked for something in writing.

Well heard back from the bank and they arent prepared to do anything to help so thats the end of that. Need to go back to the drawing board.

Back