general queries

D

dollyclare

As this site has been so helpful to me I decide to post a few qs that I'm confused about.
I. If a dvd+r = recordable,what does a dvd-r mean.Is that not the same as just dvd.
2.Are scanners useless now as you can just take digital copies instead.
3.When downloading a wma format song ,is there anyway of knowing beforehan if it will convert to mp3 format
4.Is an sdmmc usable on all devices
5.When recording onto pvr through av how do you know whether to set it to sp or lp.
6.Are mobile phone camera photos good quality enough to upload to pc
7.Finally If I record directly from tv(via av socket)to my pvr,do I still need to put it through my multi media converter.
The quality is fine without doing this but I thought it might be bad for the pvr.Also if I do use converter I find it takes up less memory than the orig.recording.Thanks everybody

Wow. Lots of questions.
1. DVD+R & DVD-R are two different standards. A player that only supports DVD+R will not play DVD-R, there is no universal industry standard for DVD recording.
2. Don't really know what this means, a scanner will make a digital copy of a document etc.
3. You can download .wma to .mp3 convertors from the web.
4. SD & MMC cards are physically similar; different but should be cross compatible; and should work in any devices (cameras, pocket PCs etc) which support SD. These are only 2 of many memory types for portable devices.
5. Don't have a PVR but I'd suspect that SP = Standard Play and LP = Long Play, so you can fit more on the PVR disk using LP but at less image quality.
6. ? You can port them to your PC. Are they good quality? Most have low resolution, fine for taking a picture if you've just been clamped but wont replace the digital camera just yet.
7. The AV on your TV should be input only not output, I doubt you could record from it.

I'm open to correction on any of the above.

I. If a dvd+r = recordable,what does a dvd-r mean.Is that not the same as just dvd.

See the DVD demystified FAQ.

2.Are scanners useless now as you can just take digital copies instead.

Not sure what you mean either but note that some scanners (or perhaps you mean digical cameras?) will just capture a "picture" of the document while some scanners will do OCR (Optical Character Recognition) allowing you to capture editable text from documents. If you have specific devices (makes and models) in mind then please post details or compare the specifications.

3.When downloading a wma format song ,is there anyway of knowing beforehan if it will convert to mp3 format

I think that some WMA tracks may have DRM (Digital Rights Management) enabled which may prevent conversion to other formats. I'm not sure if there's a way to know a priori if this is the case.

4.Is an sdmmc usable on all devices

No - different devices use different flash memory cards.

5.When recording onto pvr through av how do you know whether to set it to sp or lp.

Presumably based on the length of the programme?

6.Are mobile phone camera photos good quality enough to upload to pc

Depends - check the pixel resolution.

7.Finally If I record directly from tv(via av socket)to my pvr,do I still need to put it through my multi media converter.

Does the PVR not have its own tuner? Like a VCR which can record off its own built-in tuner while you watch another programme on TV or have the TV switched off altogether?

Re: DVD-R vs. DVD+R

One more query, má sé bhur thoile...
(not answered in that otherwise very helpful 'DVD demystified' link — thanks, Clubman!)

If I were trying to make a backup of a standard region 2 DVD that would play back OK on an Irish-bought PS2 console (not chipped or otherwise tinkered with), which medium should I use — DVD-R or DVD+R?

Dr. M.

Judging by some of the links returned by it looks like DVD-R is the correct choice.

Cheers, Clubman. Confirms my own googling...

Dr. M.

Are mobile phone camera photos good quality enough to upload to pc
AFAIK the latest and greatest camera phones are just breaching the 1mega pixel barrier now, whereas cameras are easily 5mega pixel plus nowadays. I usually take photos at around 1mega pixel resolution for uploading and find that quality pretty good for PC viewing, but not brilliant for printing.

Are mobile phone camera photos good quality enough to upload

Most high-end new camera phones have 1.3 megapixels which is adequate for snaps.

Sharp have developed a 2 megapixel camera phone. Not sure when it is out in Ireland, though.

Back