GDPR and Business

Look at the definition of "after the fact" - 'occurring, done, or made after something has happened.'

I understand the phrase perfectly, thanks. The suggestion here is they are introducing a course after the deadline for implementation. So in this case, the implementation deadline is the fact the training is coming after.

It's a nonsense to suggest that GDPR 'has happened' as it involves continuing responsibilities.

I don't think anyone here has suggested it has happened and that's the end of it.

Hmmm. Yet this innocuous truism has provoked quite a reaction.

Well, the only people who have posted since that are the two of us, and as stated I was responding to the OP and Purple's points.

So, to respond directly to it now, it is not true to say GDPR was introduced a week ago. There was no EU legislation relating to data protection introduced recently. GDPR was adopted by the Council on April 8th, 2016, the Parliament on April 14th, published in the official journal on April 27th, and came into force on May 24th, 2016.

What about something as simple as a sole-trader (like me - photographer) updating their website with new work, and wishing to let people (existing clients or, more likely, potential new clients) know about it.

Can I simply send out an email alerting them to the new work on the site?

Or, do I first have to write to them asking them if I can then send them the marketing/news email? (even though, like most people, my web address is under my name on my email sign-off)

Some of these people/firms/publications, I would have been in frequent contact with in the past - coz I worked for them - some would be those I'm hoping to work for.

Thanks.

D.

Can I simply send out an email alerting them to the new work on the site?

Only if you got their explicit permission to send such communications when collecting that information. You will need to maintain a record of proof of such consent and provide a mechanism for those on the list to request their information to be removed.

Ok.

So, a better way of going about it would be to send an email asking if I can put them on a list for future emails about website updates, while having the link to the site under my name, as always. That way, they can have a look at the work and reply, or not. Make sense?

What you seem to be saying is that cold-calling (or cold-emailing, if there is such a term) is no longer possible. Right?

Thanks.

D.

So, a better way of going about it would be to send an email asking if I can put them on a list for future emails about website updates, while having the link to the site under my name, as always.

Yes, you likely received many such emails from businesses you're interacted with in the past. They'll help you form a suitable communication.

What you seem to be saying is that cold-calling (or cold-emailing, if there is such a term) is no longer possible. Right?

You can only use a person's contact details for the purposes you outlined when collecting it.

I attended a GDPR course last month and the guy giving it said that he anticipates that the vast majority of GDPR compliance work will be after 25 May.

Hi,

I would appreciate if you would let us know the course you attended and your opinion on the benefits (or otherwise) you received from attending.

Thanks in advance.

Back