Gay Byrne

There are a some "presenters " who would fit into the buffoon bracket . There has to be some up-and-coming better presenters and very willing to work on quarter the wages of our current crop. But where are they?

I think the whole late late show is now 20 years past its sell by date. They have too much sob stories and social agenda stuff now, it sits awkwardly alongside the light entertainment and celebrity interviews. Only gay Byrne was able to carry it off and he wisely rationed down the sob stories. When we look back at the classic gay Byrne stuff nobody is looking back at the sob stories

Wasn't there stuff being peddled back in Celtic Tiger days that RTE had to pay presenters premium wages or we would lose them to UK broadcasting?
Im pretty sure I heard that nonsense being spouted. What a load of self-serving gluttony it was.

Of the present lot, I wonder who would be missed the most if they did go ? Would Ryan or Ray or Miriam or Clair be missed. Just throwing that out there....

I've heard that RTE can be very difficult to break in to, with a closed shop they look after their own.
You generally need to be on left and a strong union person to get in. Which makes it surprising that Ryan made it considering his family background.

Back