gatwick to central london for arsenal game

Thanks for the reply. Flights are booked,into Stansted , out of Gatwick at 9.25pm due to flight times. So that kind of complicates it slightly. So way in is pretty straight forward, only the Stansted express runs there. What about the way back, I take it that we could buy a ticket to Gatwick at the station, Victoria right?

Or should we buy online before we go to save time?

Check the Stansted Express is running before you go.
A bus replacement service is common on a Sunday.

They run a replacement bus service instead to Liverpool St.
You then have to make your own way to the ground.
It's a bit of a nightmare but at least you have loads of time.

Getting home, depending on which side of the ground you are one,
you could get on the Tube at

Highbury&Islington (Victoria line to Kings Cross)
or
Arsenal (Piccadilly line to Kings Cross)

for the train to Gatwick.

The train journey from Kings Cross to Gatwick
takes around 70 minutes.

You'll have time to buy ticket at Kings Cross if you leave the ground by 6.

Check the Stansted Express is running before you go.
A bus replacement service is common on a Sunday.

They run a replacement bus service instead to Liverpool St.
You then have to make your own way to the ground.
It's a bit of a nightmare but at least you have loads of time.

Getting home, depending on which side of the ground you are one,
you could get on the Tube at

Highbury&Islington (Victoria line to Kings Cross)
or
Arsenal (Piccadilly line to Kings Cross)

for the train to Gatwick.

The train journey from Kings Cross to Gatwick
takes around 70 minutes.

You'll have time to buy ticket at Kings Cross if you leave the ground by 6.

Thanks for that. Will hopefully have the tickets soon,so will know what side of the ground we will be on. Would I be better taking the Gatwick express from Victoria on the way back and book and pay online in advance. is there also a chance that that service will revert to a bus on a Sunday?

How would I find out if the Stansted Express is running that day.Do they usually post on their website, or do you need to contact them.Seems mad to pay a high priced train ticket and then they bus you in!!

None of us know London at all, so easiest way is probably best?

Get the Victoria line back to Victoria from Highbury & Islington then and the Gatwick Express runs every 15 minutes. Unlikely it will not be running and you can pay on the train. Is is dearer than your ordinary train (£16) afaik.

Thanks for that. Will hopefully have the tickets soon,so will know what side of the ground we will be on. Would I be better taking the Gatwick express from Victoria on the way back and book and pay online in advance. is there also a chance that that service will revert to a bus on a Sunday?

How would I find out if the Stansted Express is running that day.Do they usually post on their website, or do you need to contact them.Seems mad to pay a high priced train ticket and then they bus you in!!

None of us know London at all, so easiest way is probably best?

Looking at prices, you might as well take the Gatwick Express.
You'll still have to buy a tube ticket to get you to victoria from
the ground.
Replacement bus is very unlikely.

Check the stansted website on the Saturday before the game.
You get a refund if the bus replaces the train.

Looking at prices, you might as well take the Gatwick Express.
You'll still have to buy a tube ticket to get you to victoria from
the ground.
Replacement bus is very unlikely.

Check the stansted website on the Saturday before the game.
You get a refund if the bus replaces the train.

Excellent.Thanks for that. So I might as well just buy the inbound Stansted Express to Liverpool St and return Victoria to Gatwick Express tickets on their websites?
From what I can see you just buy a single for that day, doesn't seem to mention that you must give a time of use, would that be correct?

When we get to Liverpool St would the best thing to do be to just buy a day tube ticket for zones 1 + 2, or just buy individual tickets for each journey. We will only be going to and from the stadium area, so probably only 2 or so tube journeys?

Sorry for all the questions,just have no clue about London!!

Cheers

You're grand.

If you're happy to buy online then go for it.
I buy at the station but that's just me.
You'll be ok for time.

If you're getting Stansted Express, don't go as far as Liverpool St.

Get off at Tottenham Hale and buy a day travelcard (zone 1-6)
The travelcard will cover the rest of your tube trips for the day.

From Tottenham Hale, it's two stops to Finsbury Park (15 min walk to ground)
or three stops to HighburyIslington (10minute walk).

You're grand.

If you're happy to buy online then go for it.
I buy at the station but that's just me.
You'll be ok for time.

If you're getting Stansted Express, don't go as far as Liverpool St.

Get off at Tottenham Hale and buy a day travelcard (zone 1-6)
The travelcard will cover the rest of your tube trips for the day.

From Tottenham Hale, it's two stops to Finsbury Park (15 min walk to ground)
or three stops to HighburyIslington (10minute walk).

Excellent.Thanks very much for this information.

Replacement bus service is very unlikely on the Gatwick line from Victoria, but at the weekend the Thameslink line (which runs south from Kings Cross and is the start of the line from there to Gatwick) is almost always off - and the trains on that line are generally a bit slower and less frequent than Victoria trains ... so your route should be tube to Victoria and get the train from there.

You can check www.nationalrail.co.uk .. the online timetable there should be updated for engineering work closer to the time ... It's quite likely that there'll be extensive Engineering work over the Easter weekend.

Note the Gatwick Express is fairly rubbish really for the premium price - save yourself a few quid instead and take the regular Southern Railways train from Gatwick .. The fast trains are only a few minutes slower than the Gatwick Express and about a fiver cheaper.

If you're flying out of LGW at 9.25 then you want to be there by around 8.30 .. so as long as trains are running out of Victoria as normal then provided you're on a train from Victoria before 8.00 then you should have no worries.

Replacement bus service is very unlikely on the Gatwick line from Victoria, but at the weekend the Thameslink line (which runs south from Kings Cross and is the start of the line from there to Gatwick) is almost always off - and the trains on that line are generally a bit slower and less frequent than Victoria trains ... so your route should be tube to Victoria and get the train from there.

You can check www.nationalrail.co.uk .. the online timetable there should be updated for engineering work closer to the time ... It's quite likely that there'll be extensive Engineering work over the Easter weekend.

Note the Gatwick Express is fairly rubbish really for the premium price - save yourself a few quid instead and take the regular Southern Railways train from Gatwick .. The fast trains are only a few minutes slower than the Gatwick Express and about a fiver cheaper.

If you're flying out of LGW at 9.25 then you want to be there by around 8.30 .. so as long as trains are running out of Victoria as normal then provided you're on a train from Victoria before 8.00 then you should have no worries.

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated

Back