Gas Supply Problem

Markove

Hello. I recently had a new gas connection and meter installed at my home. However, the final stage of this process, running the supply form the meter into the gas boiler inside has proven problematic. The gas level keeps dropping and there is insufficient pressure. The RGI I hired thinks there is either a blockage or hole in the connecting pipe and underground excavations would be required to confirm this. The building is a twenty year old duplex. I live in the upper stories and the ground floor neighbour would also be affected as the pipe appears to run underneath his back yard. I am now beginning to have second thoughts given the likely scale and costs of the work that would be required and believe installing a heat pump may be a wiser option given that my boiler is old and will also need replacing in the near future. I would be interested in hearing informed opinion about this matter and how I should proceed . Thanks.

Only if your building VERY well insulated and your heat demands are quite low.
Yes. I suppose the standard of insulation would be typical of a building of it's age. How much do these pumps - the air to air type, I presume - cost to install, exclusive of any associated insulation costs ?
Any thoughts on the gas supply issue?

It's the running costs would be more of a problem in the longer term. But installation could cost €8-12k, and you'd also likely need to replace all radiators with ones designed to work at the lower temperatures involved. Plus you'd need a suitable location outside to locate the heat pump, could be a problem in a duplex.

On the supply issue, would it be possible run a new line? Might involve less excavation.

You've been advised by an RGI that you have a potential gas leak (hole in the connecting pipe). Should you not be asking Gas Networks Ireland to come out and fix it?.

You've been advised by an RGI that you have a potential gas leak (hole in the connecting pipe). Should you not be asking Gas Networks Ireland to come out and fix it?.
Problem solved. The leak was located in a section of the supply pipe underneath the living room floor. The cause - a carpet fitter's errant nail.

Back