Gas Hob problem

Hamilton

Hi,
We are having a problem with our gas hob. It blackens all the pots and pans etc. with soot which is impossible to remove.Initially we thought that if me made sure the flame did not come up the side of the pots it would solve the problem but this hasn't worked either.It is a new hob and the problem has been there from the beginning.
We have used gas hobs before and we have never experienced this before. It is bottled gas.
Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Hi Hamilton

we've experienced this before and it was because the gas/air mix was set for piped gas rather than bottled gas (which we were using). Basically the jets had to be adjusted and in another case we had to change the jets completely. In both cases, we got a professional to fix it. First thing in your case I'd advise is to read the accompanying installation guide - there may be info in there on how to adjust - try also the company you bought it from.

Don't faff about with Gas; it can blow up!
Get a professional to look at it. If the mix is wrong it can be dangerous.

We have exactly the same issue and we're using bottled gas. Sorry for the daft question but for bottled gas what kind of professional should we be looking for - are plumbers the experts in this line or is there a 'gas' trade?!!

I'd call Bord Gáis as a start point. Look at their [broken link removed] and call one in your area.

We are using bottled gas, and the installer changed the nipples/outlets to the very small ones that were supplied for bottled gas. I think they all come setup for piped gas.

We have exactly the same issue and we're using bottled gas. Sorry for the daft question but for bottled gas what kind of professional should we be looking for - are plumbers the experts in this line or is there a 'gas' trade?!!

Our plumber adapted our new hob for bottled gas - no problem.

If you are using bottled gas, then you need to do an LPG conversion. Your hob should be supplied with a spare set of jets (small brass thingys). Look at the instruction manual or manufacturers website. Each jet will have a number (indicating the jet size) engraved on the side. As the hob probably as difference size rings, each requiring a different size jet. Then also there is usually a screw close to each of the valves that is adjusted (in mine it just needed to be screwed all the way in. Again - refer to the manual.

Failing that - contact the manufacturer.

Resurrecting this thread....

I got a new hob installed today. Burners are very high (imagine the kitchen in a chinese takeaway type of thing!).

From reading this it looks like I need LPG conversion done (am running off standard size calor gas cylinder).

No spare jets supplied.........

So, I guess I'll have to get back to the supplier.

My main question is: Is the hob dangerous to use at the moment (I mean I can turn the knob down to adjust the flame to a more manageable level), but even at that is it safe?

Informed replies would be most welcome, thanks!

Appliances require the correct injectors to give a steady and stable flame as you know, you may find that closing down the control knob you get something, but i wouldn't be happy with it, by using the hob with the gas you have can lead to a problem and it's the potential hazard that would make me nervous, if it's fitted right then nothing can go wrong, but it's when things are half done then thats when things can go pear shaped, Gary.

Thanks Gary, I bought the correct kits (jets) today, 7mm spanner and a bit of WD to avoid shearing the brass jets, and swapped them over, now works perfectly and MUCH safer (not to mention efficient).

Thanks Gary, I bought the correct kits (jets) today,

I'm surprised you had to buy them. I was under the impression that all gas hobs sold in ROI outlets contained two sets of nozzles. One set for Natural piped gas and another for Propane/Butane

Not sure if they always do in the south, but in any case I bought it up north so I can't say.

Mind me asking how much they were, as it's another factor to be brought into account when consumers are weighing up whether to purchase North or South

12 euro, but I didn't exactly shop around for them as it was a safety issue, can prob get them cheaper online or whatever.

Do all the hobs sold in the Six Counties have the safety gas cut out now. Where the supply of gas turns off if the flame goes out? I know it became law in the South first, and there were still units coming across the border without this feature

Back