Gas heating and wood burning stove?

josoap

Hi, we live in a 2 bedroomed house. Our heating is calor gas, as we cannot get natural gas in the area. The heating is not good.
The living has a fire place and it seems there was a back boiler which has been disconnected.
I would love to have a wood burning boiler stove installed, but am wondering if its possible to have the two systems in the house, and also would it be a nightmare to have it installed.

It can be done but my opinion is that for a two bed house its just not worth it.
My advice would be to have the heating system 'fixed', block off the fireplace to reduce heat loss and look at other ways of making the house snug, at the same time ensuring enough ventilation.
You can fit a standalone wood burner if you want in the fireplace but there is a lot of work with sourcing and storing fuel and cleaning out ashes, chimneys etc etc.
Have you considered a glass fronted gas fire in the fireplace?
Its possible that the back boiler is still connected to the system and if not done correctly, the back boiler may act as a rad:(
How old is the heating system?
Has it ever been flushed out?
Does it have inhibitor in the water to stop corrosion and build up of sludge?
Tell us more about it please.

We had a new gas boiler filled 2 years ago. and replaced 2 rads in bedroom and living room.
I will always light a fire at the weekend, and I know most of the heat goes up the chimney, so I would like to get more out of it, if possible.

Okay, then maybe the stand alone stove. There are heat calculators in the links below

On the new boiler, perhaps consider the delta T calculation as described here:
http://www.theradiatorshop.ie/cms.php?id_cms=2
or here
[broken link removed]

The issue in a nutshell is that if the old rads were sized on a delta T of 60C and the new boiler only functions at a delta T of 50C but the rads were not upsized to match the drop in delta T then you will be colder, all other things being equal.

Thank you for that information. I will check out the websites. Lots of thinking to be done.

Glad to help: the other issue is the correct flow rate to facilitate the correct pressure drop across the rad as it has to be able to push out the heat into the room so maybe you check if its properly balanced.
When the two new rads were put in with the boiler was the whole system cleaned out?

Hi again, as far as I know the system was not cleaned out. Maybe need to go that way.

Back