Gas heaters

discovery101

Anyone got recommendations on a good gas heater for a home office? one that is portable and can use a standard cylinder.

thank you.

Anyone got recommendations on a good gas heater for a home office? one that is portable and can use a standard cylinder.

thank you
Those Super Ser gas heaters were/are awful things for condensation. Why not use a good dimplex?
Then again, maybe it's one of those sheds with no power that you use as an office

I love the look of those Calor Gas old stove type that take a full cylinder, I have liked them for years but this year might be the year I buy one! They are expensive in comparison to the more standard looking ones available but well what can I say, looks matter to me! I also want a blue one!

If you look on the Calor Gas website there is a good range of different types on there, I know the old Super Ser type stank really but hopefully they have improved on those issues since then. I read a lot of reviews of the type I want as it's not cheap but they varied so much with some saying they were awful and others finding them great so it's hard to get an objective opinion on them.

Along with the condensation issues, they consume lots of oxygen and produce a lot of carbon dioxide, so are only suitable for well ventilated spaces. Use them in a draught free room with all windows and doors closed at your peril.
They give very good guidelines with them on how they are to be used, size of room/ventilation etc, I want it for my kitchen/dining room in winter, on a windy day you nearly have to use a bit of force to close the kitchen door such is the draught coming down from stairs/attic area not to mind the other 3 doors into same room!

They give very good guidelines with them on how they are to be used, size of room/ventilation etc, I want it for my kitchen/dining room in winter, on a windy day you nearly have to use a bit of force to close the kitchen door such is the draught coming down from stairs/attic area not to mind the other 3 doors into same room!
Very good, I haven't seen one in use in years but I still remember how drowsey those in the room got after it was running for a while.

I'd suggest getting someone to take a look at that door and other sources of draughts, perhaps using something as simple as a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Hayes-ARC333113-333113-Smoke-Sticks/dp/B009BUDDHM (smoke pen). A few small changes might significantly improve heat retention and save a lot of money heating.

I'd suggest getting someone to take a look at that door and other sources of draughts, perhaps using something as simple as a https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Hayes-ARC333113-333113-Smoke-Sticks/dp/B009BUDDHM (smoke pen). A few small changes might significantly improve heat retention and save a lot of money heating.
Ah lookit at this stage now I know exactly where the draughts are coming from, badly converted attic which would require massive amount of work/money to improve it, not to mind those downlighters in a high sunroom roof, no access to above them to insulate at this stage, fair old breeze comes in through them too!

I actually don't mind the draughts as such, was merely mentioning it in the context of the gas heater. I can heat the house very well and keep necessary rooms cosy but a windy night is the enemy! On the plus side I have zero damp or condensation issues, lot to be said for a bit of air around the place. My heating is gas and bills (before current crisis) were normal enough, also have open fire for which I have just identified a nice dry place to store timber outside for the winter, the bins can sit out in the rain!

I don't mind that, better than damp, hate damp houses, lived in a few in my time! Never forget losing a favourite suit to mildew :(

Along with the condensation issues, they consume lots of oxygen and produce a lot of carbon dioxide, so are only suitable for well ventilated spaces. Use them in a draught free room with all windows and doors closed at your peril.
That is what i am hearing from a lot of people!!

Are they much cheaper to run than a dimplex style oil filled radiator? I thought the oil filled radiators were very efficient.

Are they much cheaper to run than a dimplex style oil filled radiator? I thought the oil filled radiators were very efficient.
See here. 22-24c per kWh delivered versus 20 to 40c for electricity. Oil filled rads win in terms of space, ease of use, and how much less likely they are to kill you, but they do cost a little more to run.

That said, if you live in a relatively modern house that doesn't have gales blowing through it, the need to have windows open to compensate for the oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide & condensation output might mean keeping the windows closed and running an oil filled rad will both be cheaper and a lot more comfortable.

The efficiency of any electrical element is 100%. Thats not to say its cheap to run or it takes xkWh

I already have the oil filled radiator and it has served me well and may continue to do so depending on how expensive electricity gets :oops:, while I know gas is also likely to go up as it's mainly fueling the electricity nevertheless there is the added bonus that if for any reason there are power cuts at least the gas fire can be used. Also if I buy the tank of gas now it's likely to last me the bulk of the winter I presume so at least I'm buying at today's prices.

Thanks for the reply.....I am try to stay away from using electricity if at all possible!!
I'd echo the advice of all - particularly on safety grounds - to stay away from the gas heaters.

The electric oil-filled ones can make a lot of sense for a small space. I made good use of one years ago when I basically lived in a 10sqm bedroom and wasn't home much. It didn't make sense to heat the room when I was out and the electric oil-filled heater would get the room up to temperature in 15 minutes or so to the 19C I'm comfortable in :)

If you're worried about cost you can buy a plug-in meter for maybe €10. You can input your unit electricity rate and it gives you a running tally of how much it's costing you. I have this in place for the tumbledryer now and it really stops me overusing.

Back