Gas Cooker v Electric Cooker

Gas for everything, heating,hotwater & cooking. Commerical ovens are Gas as they can heat up faster and to higher temps. Domestic ovens aren't as powerful, but I still reckon Gas gets up to the required temp much faster.

If you are buying a gas hob ensure it has a flame failure device. This device will cut the gas supply if no heat is detected when the hob is on. According to the Powercity sales guys no gas installer will install a gas hob without such a device.

Jamie.

Oven-wise there is a theory that I would suscribe to that says that gas burns with a "wet heat", which stands to reason as it is an organic substance combining with oxygen generating Water and Carbondioxide. So there seems to be some restriction on cooking souflés and the like. When baking bread adjust your mix to take less water etc etc

My verdict: Electricity for Ovens

Rainyday - we have a gas hob with integral griddle & it's great. The griddle bit is electric on most of them though so its slow by comparison to the gas. Great for steaks, chicken fillets etc & its set in a slight slant so all the fat drains off - pretty much like a built in George Foreman I suppose.

On the Gas oven being no good for culinary and the like: the most culinary I've ever been (and it would be souffles etc) has been with a gas oven, with a lovely crispy crusty, good moist inside.
Mind you the electrical ovens I've used have been weenie worktop things.

Electric in last house, gas in this. The oven that is. I strangely actually found the electric oven easier. I sometimes find that the auto ignite in the gas oven isn't great. Also find it tends to not be as fast as the other electric oven.
Maybe thats just the cooker itself. I'd love to hear other peoples feedback

smbo said:
Rainyday - we have a gas hob with integral griddle & it's great. The griddle bit is electric on most of them though so its slow by comparison to the gas. Great for steaks, chicken fillets etc & its set in a slight slant so all the fat drains off - pretty much like a built in George Foreman I suppose.
Many thanks, SMBO.

1. Who are the main suppliers for all things to do with gas cooking in the Dublin area?

2. This thread has lots of talk about gas hobs. Do any of you have one of those large, steel, free-standing gas cookers with oven below the hob? If so, what make, and where did you buy it? I like the idea of incorporating all-in-one since we will probably go for a kitchen with free-standing rather than built-in units.

Thanks.

D.

I imagine professionals use electric ovens, they can regulate the temperature more easily and accurately with electric thermocouple etc. Also electric fan circulates heat around the oven for even cooking and shorter cooking times. Gas hobs are the way to go on the hob front.

Dinarius said:
1. Who are the main suppliers for all things to do with gas cooking in the Dublin area?

2. This thread has lots of talk about gas hobs. Do any of you have one of those large, steel, free-standing gas cookers with oven below the hob? If so, what make, and where did you buy it? I like the idea of incorporating all-in-one since we will probably go for a kitchen with free-standing rather than built-in units.

Thanks.

D.

I have one of these, made by SMEG, very stylish! Gas hob with a single large electric oven underneath. Happy enough, although if I was buying again i would go for a bigger model with two ovens.

I imagine professionals use electric ovens, they can regulate the temperature more easily and accurately with electric thermocouple etc. Also electric fan circulates heat around the oven for even cooking and shorter cooking times. Gas hobs are the way to go on the hob front.
Yep, you're absolutely right Carpenter - the other half is a chef and his mantra is gas hob, electric oven!

Back