Gas Central Heating Boiler won't light!!

Slash

Tried to light the Gas CH boiler last night after being off for the summer.
Checked the gas is on; the igniter is flashing away; but the gas won't light.

Any suggestions (apart from calling in an expert)?

Thanks.

Re: Gas Central Heating Bolier won't light!!

There's often a little switch under these boilers to re-set the system. These cut-offs can be triggered by low water pressure or low gas pressure. Tha manual if you have it should indicate where this is, if not, you may be able to find something on the web. Certainly worth a shot before paying for a call-out!

Leo

As Leo has already suggested you might want to check the water pressure, this should be between 1-2 mBar. If the pressure is low you can top up using the manual feed loop (there should be a valve with hand wheel to allow mains water to top up the system).

Well, i tried all your suggestions, and managed to get the pilot lit, but the main burner did not light. Any suggestions?

Not good news on my end I'm afraid. Same problem in our house last week and after trying all of the above, resorted to calling out a technician. Circuit board is gone in the boiler and has to be replaced at a cost of €261 plus fitting. Boiler is only four years old.

same here, filter needs replacing, boiler 4 years we got a quote of €250 for the filter plus €80 to fit.... we got 3 quotes as above, so we went off got the filter ourselves for €160....... then when we rang the plumbers we said we have the filter and two of them quoted €150 for Labour....obviously not realising they had previously quoted us €80 for labour...EEJITS.!!!!!!!

The plumbers aren't necessarily being unreasonable here. The labour element of a purchase & install job should cost less than the labour charge for installation only as you would expect them to be making a margin on selling you the filter. This is borne out by the figures you quote - overall cost of supply and fit - €330. overall cost of buying yourself and paying for fitting - €310.

The plumbers aren't necessarily being unreasonable here. The labour element of a purchase & install job should cost less than the labour charge for installation only as you would expect them to be making a margin on selling you the filter. This is borne out by the figures you quote - overall cost of supply and fit - €330. overall cost of buying yourself and paying for fitting - €310

ye fair enough, I can see how its not worth their while for the installation only, but surely the cost of labour is just that.. how can it be justifed as costing higher in labour costs because they're not making a profit on supplying the part.
Any way when I pointed out to a plumber that he had in fact quoted me €80 for labour, he said fair enough, so the total cost to me was €240.... Just pointing out it can work out cheaper to source your own parts.

The control boxs for the gas are always going and its a nice earner for them. Make sure to call your builder if your house is newish, I did 2 years after building and they replaced the board for free, the actual box cost around €100. Another thing that goes regularly is the valves stick and may need to be freed.
On this subject what is the average price that one should pay to get their boiler serviced?

Annual service is €90 from Bord Gais, or €110 for the breakdown service. €90 annual service package has a wait of a couple of weeks at this time of the year. Details of all the servicing charges are on their website at http://www.bordgais.ie

I got someone to service my oil boiler for the first time this year (after 6 years- not to be recommended to leave it this long). I paid the going rate but wasn't very happy with the job. The guy that did the job (fully trained and qualified) didn't refit one of the machine screws on the box housing the burner unit. He stripped the threads on two more screws which hold the outer boiler cover in place- these will have to be drilled out when I service the boiler again. I have seen shoody work like this on an all too regular basis, mostly carelessness on the part of the person doing the job and also using the wrong tools for the task in hand. I've become very suspicious of work standards so invariably I 'll inspect anything I've paid for with a fine toothcomb. Next year I'll service the boiler myself, it's not rocket science and the boiler is well out of warranty anyway. Of course it is not advisable to carry out work on a gas appliance unless you are a registered installer. Rant over!:) .

Why did you leave it 6 years?

I am suprised that you were not charged more.

The screws probably seized, due to neglect.

Back