Gas boiler service

Unless the relevant legislation identifies 'lobbying' as one of their statutory roles, then lobbying would be ultra vires activity for BG.

Ok, maybe lobby was the wrong word to use. It is my understanding with dealings I've had with BG to date, is that BG are to implement a compulsory registry over the next 18 months. Although I was told this two years ago and there still isn't one or sign of one. So I think it is intra vires activity after all for BG. Although I would like BGES to clarify BG position.

Just now I looked up that list of installers, as I need two boilers serviced, mine and daughters houses. I recognised the name of a local person- Joe Nangle, used once before. Phoned the number, to find an Bord Gais call centre answered, and were about to set up service -with one of THEIR engineers--NOT the Nangle person listed!!. I am trying now to inform Nangles that although they are listed on the site as qualified, the tel no does NOT lead to Nangle at all!!
Is this a bit dishonest?
I still need a gas service so if anybody can recommend a good person, please tell me!!

Hi, new to this board, but in reading this I am confused....15 mins to service a gas boiler...proper service takes me min 1 hour, top to bottom

Under current irish domestic gas regulations (IS813) it should take your technician a minimum of 10 mins to test your gas meter before they even enter the house (and should repeat this test before leaving!) this test ensures soundness (ie. no gas leaks before commencing work and none after finishing) and MUST be done for your safety! insist on it!

Also, once the boiler has been cleaned, safety devices checked, gas pressures checked and gas rating complete (gas rate takes more time back at your meter and ensures you boiler is consuming the correct ammount of gas) only then should your service be considered complete, and would be nice to have a FGA done also (like your cars emission test) to give you an electronic reading of your boilers safety and efficiency after the service is complete............in 15 mins!!! superman!! ask for a refund!!

As from Jan 1 2009 the energy commision is beginning to regulate the irish domestic gas industry and ALL installers and servicemen are required to be regisitered to allow them to work on gas, failure will result in a €15000 fine or 3 months in the clink (as i recall it) hopefully this will begin to get the cowboys away from the gas, only time will tell

Thanks for listening to my moan
Domestic Gas & Oil Boiler Services (Meath/Louth/Dublin)
[email protected]

If it takes you an hour to service a boiler, you should consider another career;). When I first started working on gas here I was amazed with the lax attuide. I trained in the UK and they are much more strict there. When I did my cross over exams I didn't realise that I didn't even have to be qualified to legally work on gas here, mad. I will wait to see how they tackle the unregistered installer with interest.

On the servicing thing, up to a couple of years ago british gas's idea of a service was to stick a flue analyzer in the boiler and if it was in reasonable margins, then it was deemed fine. Now there is a service thet would take 5 min.

Well, a hour to service a boiler would be about right in my estimation, yes it can be done quicker, but as I posted above, if correct proceedures for soundness are followed it ammounts to nearly 20 mins. (which I observe)
ie. 5 min stabilisation 2 min test let by, 2 min test soundness, on exit 5 min & 2 again....

Add to that you, open, remove the burner, clean, check all connections, remove fan and clean, re assemble,.....lets say a safe 15 mins

Fire the boiler, test your max/min pressures, then give it 5 mins warm up,
perform a gas rating.......lets say a total of 10 mins

Then also do the 'BG' FGA, another few mins.........lets say 2

OK now we are up to 47 mins, again you wirte it up, have a quick check of a few rads (looking for sludge problems etc) maybe top up system pressure (as you have noticed usually in the hot press in Ireland)

Then address your customer, make sure they are happy and know how to use the appliance correctly or any other concerns they might have....I think I can safely say an hour.........would be VALUE for money

I am not ready to run in and out and provide half a service.......

Also, you refer to 'BG' service, FGA only, seems to be comming back into vouge with the HE condesing boilers, as with some you are obliged to replace seals etc once you have opened the burner chamber / heat exchanger.......manufacturers instruction say FGA is enough, unless safety ratio is above 0.0040 then full strip down required, I would see the first part as a 'mini' service or safety check and charge accordingly

hi Suzyann,

First all all I would like what gas you are using, is it natural gas, or LPG, if it is LPG Bord gas, will not be involved, it is my understanding they only work wih natural gas,

Secondly out of intrest I would like to know what type of gas boiler you have, as different boilers have different requirments, however I would be confident that any sort of a service would take more that 15 minutes, most of the posts give reasons for that, it would be good if a flue gas anayser was used as well to see the flue gas contents

while bord gas may have a list of installers/agents, this list does not cover lpg,

yes there are lots of cowboys working on lpg that are not trained, i recently encountered a gas fire in a domestic premises with no ventilation, a sure recipe for carbon monoxide ,

I have often encountered plumbers installing gas lines and these were not trained in gas, yes i agree with one of the posters, some of the gas industry here is not regulated,

You should insist on getting paperwork from this guy as to what he did, if your house burnt down, could you prove you got your boiler serviced, if you dont have the paperwork it was not done.

all gas appliances must according to the irish standards be serviced at least once a year,

regards

When you say some of the gas industry is not regulated here, I would say it is all regulated but these regulations are not enforced. Anybody can buy a van/tools and stick an ad in the paper saying they are a gas installer and there isn't a thing Bord Gais or anybody else can do about it. I just couldn't belive it when i heard it.

On the gas fire, are you sure it was over 7KW?;)

DGOBS stabilization is only 2 Min's, that will get you under the hour, keep up the good work

Wrong, stabilsation requirement changed in January (or Feb not sure which without checking) stabilisation is now 5 mins according to IS813.....
do you not keep yourself up to date ?????

For service I charge €80 may-aug, €100 sept-april.....trying to get my customers to see the light with regards to servicing in the summer to allow for quicker reponse to breakdowns in the winter (some hope!)

It is about time regulation began, hopefully January 09 will see a start to it, and just to shock all the gas technicians who shrug and think..whatever....it looks like corgi are going to be invited in to run it!
then the real fun begins, think I am going to sit back and watch for a while!!!!! (may even apply to become an inspector **with a rye smile**)

And furthermore, looks by end of 09 Oftec are coming in to regualte the oil guys (even more cowboys hiding in there I think!)

according to my regs, its been 5 minutes always, which I think is overkill. In the UK it is 1 minute and 2 minute test. Lets face it after 10 to 20 seconds you know if there is a leak or not.

I am surprised you don't do a let by test as this can mask a leak. I always do them as it only takes 1 minute.

Regs or no regs, gas work is not complicated and any experianced fitter will know whats safe and whats not.

I'm turning into a boiler nerd but having sat the GIS earlier this year a course taught by a electrician and assessed by a Bord Gáis trainer,the times i was given were 5 Min's for new/ 2 Min's for existing, when i mentioned that 813 doesn't give a time for stabilization for exisiting i was told " use your common sense" beautiful. god help the builders,mechanics and plasters that were on the course with me, and as for staying up to date if you are going to be a corgi inspector the only thing you will be inspecting will have four legs, wet nose and a tail as from 31st march 2009 corgi is no more as they have lost the registration scheme to Capita,:p

I'm turning into a boiler nerd but having sat the GIS earlier this year a course taught by a electrician and assessed by a Bord Gáis trainer,the times i was given were 5 Min's for new/ 2 Min's for existing, when i mentioned that 813 doesn't give a time for stabilization for exisiting i was told " use your common sense" beautiful. god help the builders,mechanics and plasters that were on the course with me, and as for staying up to date if you are going to be a corgi inspector the only thing you will be inspecting will have four legs, wet nose and a tail as from 31st march 2009 corgi is no more as they have lost the registration scheme to Capita,:p

Thats a relief Re CORGI, Hope Capita do a better job. I always thought 5 mins for existing was far too long. As for the common sense, as you say it depends how who's common sense you are depending on.

lol @ 4 legs, have been a boiler nerd for far too long myself!

hadn't heard that about Corgi, had been speaking to someone I know from the enrgy regulation dept, and only going on what they heard, just goes to show how up to date they are!

What does this mean for the corgi training schools in NI & UK?
Any reason why Corgi has lost it?

As regards the letby test, haven't seen too many other do them,
which as you said, can mask a leak..........but then again, I dont see why
the soundness test cant be done at 16 m/bar as you can then do both tests, as in rise or fall.........IS813 says letby shoud be done at 10 m/bar,
but alot of the gas valves hi-pressure switch will trip below 14 m/bar!

And somethings with IS813 & Bord Gais make me laugh, as in ECV should always fall safe (closed) most of the 'tee' bar ecv's fitted by BG break this rule!!! (ie. 3-6 is closed 6-12 is open)

The training schools will be unaffected as registration and competency exams will still be required, there are a few reasons corgi are being put down, the obvious being how some inspectors would interpret the regs in a very aggressive manor and upset it's customers IE.. recently in London a engineer of many years standing was threatened with being reported and lots of bad things were going to happen to him as he worked on a broken down boiler under warranty and the customer didn't have the benchmark book which proves the boiler has been commissioned, so the inspector got the bone between his teeth and decided that as the engineer couldn't prove the boiler had been commissioned before he repaired it he should of capped the boiler and written it up as a dangerous installation, this had been proved later as a misinterpretation of the regs by the inspector but it came to late to save the engineer from abuse and threat as he tried to cap new boilers under warranty and the fear he had of prosecution which caused him to change his under garments on a regular basis, another reason is when the government body set up the scheme with corgi they thought they owned the rights to the corgi name and the whole setup, they only found out when they sat down with corgi to sort out a new deal that corgi had registered the name on the quite to try to lock in the government, which i can happily say has back fired on them.
In respect of the let-by test i do it, i may not do it exactly as 813 all the time but i still look for it because i have gasmans paranoia and i have yet to come across a main cock in over 20 years that has let-by, but i bet the first day i don't do it is when things go kaboom, thank god for paranoia.

I'm all for gasmans paranoia, I must check lots of things 3 or 4 times!
as for letby, have had one, on the newer gascocks too!

Sounds pretty harsh with the corgi inspector!
Power corrupts and all that I suppose......

don't mind me asking, where'd you do you GIS recenty??

Thats a very interesting story. How exactly does a non commissioned room sealed boiler(i assume) merit an immediately dangerous status, an at risk status is even pushing it. I am assuming the repairer carried out basic safety checks first.

Installers over didn't think much of them. The one inspector I had has a decent enough fella, he was meticulous but you'd expect that. Whenever I was at a course and met other installers, they would forever give out about CORGI , complaining it was just a money racket!

Back