gas boiler service

PGD1

About 5 years ago I switched over from OFCH to GFCH.
I have never serviced the boiler, but keep getting brochures from Bord Gais telling me I should.

I guess I should at some point but is it really necessary. What do they check? I don't seem to be having any problems with it.

Should I go with Bord Gais or an independent?

It is very important to get a GFCH boiler serviced to ensure it is working efficiently.

At best, an inefficiently working boiler will cost you money in extra gas and at worse, a carbon monoxide leak will kill everyone living in the house.

I've never serviced my gas boiler [2 years in new house] but the Resident's Association have recently said it should be done once per year. Apparently if its not done this frequently then it can invalidate your insurance if a faulty boiler is the cause of a fire, for example.

Now, I've never checked up on this so it could be hearsay. Servicing always seems to be one of those things I can never get around to arranging...

You could try the bord gas website for a Registered Gas Installer (RGI) in your area.

RGII is yet to come into force.

I think that you should service it now. You have got 5 years out of it service free which is pretty impressive. However in order to maxmize it's efficiency and hopefully get at least another 5 years out of it it should be looked at now...just in case.

oh definately get someone to look at it, we are having problems because there is no records of the previous owners ever having the system serviced since it was installed in our house.
so its for safety and also knowing in the future that if something goes wrong there will be records of it being serviced and they will try recommision the system if needs be

Get it serviced. Bord gais will only get someone else out to do it and add some on for themselves.
Alot of things need to be checked, such as the gas consumption down to the amount of dust in the fan !!
Don't get Joe down the road who tried his own one and know thinks he knows what to do. If your house blows up you want to have someone point the finger at, not someone who's going to give you the finger

Hi, as a service engineer, I can tell you

servicing your appliance is a good idea, not only does it require cleaning
and testing to ensure efficiency, but a FULL and PROPER service checks
your entire house for gas leakage, and checks all the safety systems on
your appliance are in good working order. It also ensure the applaince consumes the correct ammount of gas and bruns it completely ensuring
the minimum ammount of carbon monoxide (safe limits) are generated and
safely dispelled to the outside.

Point in fact, ona recent visit to a customers house, where a gas boiler installed 5 years previously had never been serviced or checked, when testing the appliance was producing over 1000ppm of carbon monoxide due to a 5 year old installation fault. If god forbid a flue seal got damaged
lets say during room decoration this appliance was one step away from killng....yes killing the occupants (they would have had about 10-15 mins before unconsiousness) so I do belive in having you appliance serviced anmd safety checked once a year as minimum, alos your gas fire, hob, cooker, tumble dryer and any other gas appliance should alos be checked on the service visit.......

Back