Gas boiler recommedations

CCOVICH

Hi all

We have been told that we need a new gas boiler. We have a 4 bedroom semi-d, with kitchen, dining room, sunroom, living room and 1 main bathroom (1 rad in each of these rooms and 1 more in the halllway). Water is also heated by gas.

Would anyone care to recommend a make/model of bolier and the likely cost?

Every installer will be different.
I had 4 guys in limerick offer 4 different boilers so I went with the guy who was most recommended and who gave a quote there and then.
It was a Baxi condensing boiler. These are supplied by heat merchants so if spare parts are needed , we would hope they would stillbe around.
Cost was 2k.

We received our first quote last week-€2600 (supply and fitting and disposal of old bolier) for a 'Glowarm' 18kw condensing bolier.

Is this a fair price and is Glowarm on a par with Baxi?

Thats a bit high, 2.6K. I got a quote for a condensing boiler (replacement) and to move it outside the house in a weather pack for 2K.

Generally, any german or nordic manufacturer will have a good boiler. I would not go on price of boiler alone. In these countries they will know how to make boilers for cold climates etc... Try to avoid Potterton boilers, they do not have a good reliability record.

an outside weather pack for a GAS boiler???????

bit of a generalization on Potterton me thinks, we all know the suprima story with pcb's but can't say much more bad about them!

Look at Vaillant, in vouge with me at the minute

Does 18kw sound about right for 10 rads (3 doubles, 3 half size)?

I'd say our boiler will be staying inside.

we all know the suprima story with pcb's but can't say much more bad about them!

From having spent a freezing cold Sunday morning resoldering every connection on my Glowarm's PCB, I can tell that they are just as badly made as the Suprimas. After finding 2 legs not soldered at all and 1 dry joint, I was amased that the boiler ever worked!

Anyone have any views on the 'Alpha' brand of gas bolier?

Well i have one the last 3 years and the boiler itself has worked fine no issues here.
Some bad plumbing work was done when installing it but that can hardly be blamed on the appliance.
I do know that between the 5 houses built they all have this boiler and no problems yet...

i'm getting a 'highline' gas condensing boiler fitted, 24kw at a cost of €750, think its so cheap as plumber is currently doing other work in the house.

Price depends on where you are based. €2600 is a little on the high side.
Does it include VAT?

My advice would be go for a boiler that has a main supplier in your area. Heat merchants do Baxi. It will makes things easier when your boiler breaks down(every boiler will break down) and you need a part asap.

If you wish I can calculate your boiler size, or if you want to do it yourself, this site [broken link removed] is usefull and easy to use. Add 15% for hot water demand and add up the rest to find suitable boiler size.

BTU to KW = KW x 3414 = BTU

Price depends on where you are based. €2600 is a little on the high side.
Does it include VAT?

Yes-supply, fitting disposal and VAT.

Thanks for the advice-very useful. Had you heard of 'Alpha' and what is your view of their equipment?

I haven't fixed too many of them, which probably is a good thing.

Gas boiler installation and repair is not our main business. where we operate I come across alot of Baxi/Potterton boilers. I have fitted mainly Baxi and Vokera. Parts and warrenty support is readyily availible. Vokera have an Irish base in Kilkenny.

When I operated in the UK, I would nearly only fit Vaillant boilers. Worth looking into. Again depends on support etc. Haven't seen too many of them here.

Davy, Vaillant are now back pushing in Ireland, the are elling through pulsardirect.ie

Must say, have done their product course, I was impressed, a little more expensive, but worth it in mho

Does anyone know anything about Ideal gas boilers. I had one installed 18 months ago following very high recommendation from installer. It has a label which says Classic SE 15 FF.

Ideal are a leading maker of boilers and parts are readily availible. All servicepeople will be familar with them.

Thanks Davy, was just wondering as reading this thread I realised that unusually I had just accepted the advice given from supplier and had not looked for independant info.

Ideal are a leading maker of boilers and parts are readily availible. All servicepeople will be familar with them.

:eek:

Ideal is our current make of boiler and according to the initial diagnosis, it has a faulty heat exchanger which would cost around €800 to replace? We were advised not to bother (the advice was from someone without a vested interest in selling us a new boiler)

A plumber who was here this evening siad that the issue was probably caused when the bolier was installed when the house was being built-he reckoned the system was not flushed properly and this caused debris/fluid to build up and erode the heat exchanger. The house is 10 years old (we bought it over 2 years ago).

It is all too common that boilers and heating systems aren't chemically treated. Treating and ensuring you have a water tight system are imperative factors to insure the long life of your system.

What exactly is wrong with boiler?

Back