Gas boiler installer refusing to provide a receipt

GAAmam

HI,
We have a rental property with long-standing tenants. The boiler (approx. 10 years old) started acting up and eventually stopped working altogether; It was during the cold weather earlier this year. It was really difficult to get anyone to do the job; eventually we did get someone to do it, it was a 'friend' of the installer who did the job on our residence. The plumber who had done the job on our house has been out a few times over the years , we have solar panels etc and bit of maintenance involved. He always sends on a receipt after any works.
The plumber who did the job on the rental property purchased a boiler on our behalf and installed it; when it came to paying he asked for cash - it was close to €3,000. I did Revolut half and gave cash for the other half.
I know I should have been clearer when engaging the individual, but we really needed to get the job done as the tenants (some of whom are at home during the day with small children were freezing).
I have been chasing him ever since, I even went direct to the Boiler suppliers (who advised me that the plumber must provide me with the receipt for the boiler) and they cannot engage directly with me. Initially he (the plumber) kept promising that he would drop over the receipt for the boiler and said he is not VAT registered himself. He then just started ignoring my correspondence and has done so ever since.
I did contact the RGII who advised me that they only deal with matters that relate to safety.
I know he works for one of the Utility companies - so might be able to chase up there...
For my tax return I do need some form of paperwork.

Any ideas how I can pursue this?

Thanks

Hello,

Does this apply, with regards to the RGII ?

The utility company that the installer works for might be registered, but do you know for a fact that he was?

At the very least, I'd want a certified professional to check the job, to ensure that it was done properly, and there are no safety concerns.

HI,
thanks for your response. I did send in the 'Installation one pager' which had his name and RGI number on it to the RGII and yes he is fully registered.
I think the job was done well etc, just no paperwork for me to use for my tax return

That's what you get for agreeing to pay cash - presumably a cheaper cost but no paper invoice. You can't have your cake and eat it

I am not having my cake and eating it, its not like there were 10 people willing to do the job. Your response is not helpful. Try getting a gas installer to fit a new boiler in Dublin in the middle of winter. Don't see why he couldn't at least supply me with the receipt for the boiler..
Not sure why I am bothering to respond to you..

I have been chasing him ever since, I even went direct to the Boiler suppliers (who advised me that the plumber must provide me with the receipt for the boiler) and they cannot engage directly with me. Initially he (the plumber) kept promising that he would drop over the receipt for the boiler and said he is not VAT registered himself. He then just started ignoring my correspondence and has done so ever since.
What is your major concern? Having a receipt for tax purposes? Or having assurance that it was safely and correctly installed?

I got a gas boiler replaced at short notice in Dublin 2 years ago with little problem.

Did the installer provide a completion cert? Under the minimum standards legislation, a landlord must ensure that heating systems are maintained in safe working order, the RGII cert is important in that context. Issuing such a cert is also mandatory under the Energy (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act.

HI,
yes he provided a completion cert. Of course as a landlord I am cautious regarding safety standards and would always have got the boiler serviced etc.

I want the documentation for my tax return.

thanks to those who provided constructive responses; I suppose I was really asking is there a mechanism for raising this type of practice;

thanks

thanks to those who provided constructive responses; I suppose I was really asking is there a mechanism for raising this type of practice;
There is no legal requirement for a business to provide a receipt, but most provide them as standard or on request.

If you had gone through a company, you'd have more options available, but in your case it appears that the installer was acting in a personal capacity and so you have no option other than to continue asking them.

In terms of addressing that kind of practice, never engage with anyone who insists on cash payment. Never pay in full until you are satisfied they have met all your requirements. Of course neither of those are helpful in retrospect.

I presume you want the receipt for money management purposes, but "it is now a legal requirement to be registered in order to undertake gas work". This is stated on the back of the 'RGI cert', i.e. the completion certificate for the purposes of the Energy (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2006. The provision of the RGI cert by your installer should be your main issue of concern.

I presume you want the receipt for money management purposes

Back