Garlic Scam

Yes, I agree thats its way OTT.

Its my opinion that violent crime should hold the most severe sentencing.

Does seem out of whack when you consider some sentences handed down. Having said that, it was deliberate tax evasion on a large scale. He knew what he was doing. We either take it seriously or we don't. I don't agree that people should be able to pay a fine and avoid a custodial sentence if caught.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard yesterday that the import tax on garlic is “inexplicably” high and can reach 232pc.

Thats a ridiculous rate of tax and as such the sentence handed down was way ott,there are rapists and murderers out and about after 12 years.

I dont get this at all. We hear in the news every few months of business men and women who make tax settlements with the Revenue Commissioners for tax evasion. Some huge amounts have been paid by very well known business people over the last few years.. Two men settled for more than €2m last December for failing to declare tax and for holding offshore accounts. They knew exactly what they were doing. They didnt see a day in jail though.

very harsh. considering he was already paying it back and cooperated fully with investigation. If he was a politician this would have been called the Garlic tribunal, would have cost the taxpayer circa 300 million euro and he wouldnt have seen a day in jail.

On another note, why is the tax on garlic so high?

On another note, why is the tax on garlic so high?

Apparently its a form of trade protectionism,protecting Garlic coming out of Spain and Portugal EU countries,I would imagine what this fella was caught at is pretty wide spread circumvention of this crazy tax.

I dont get this at all. We hear in the news every few months of business men and women who make tax settlements with the Revenue Commissioners for tax evasion. Some huge amounts have been paid by very well known business people over the last few years.. Two men settled for more than €2m last December for failing to declare tax and for holding offshore accounts. They knew exactly what they were doing. They didnt see a day in jail though.
Good point. I suppose there is something sneaky about calling Garlic Apples which respectable tax evading businessmen would never stoop to, nonetheless tax evasion is tax evasion and should be treated with a level hand. Personally, I would put many more in jail rather than merely name and shame (and charge a penalty).

For goodness sake this man is from a working class background and should be in jail.
Six years is not long enough for a drug dealing rapist or whatever horrible crime he committed.

He's from a fruit-and-veg selling family from Tallaght and is not on the same level as bankers, financiers and judges who are all basically decent fellows.

The fact the family provide honest work for 200 people and that this evil criminal was noted for his charitable donations and that over the last two years he has being paying back the tax plus interest should not blind us to the fact that his was the most heinous of crimes - fiddling the garlic duty.

It is really galling isn't it,not one of those bankers that destroyed the State is within an asses roar of even appearing in a court,yet this fella is going to jail for 6 years for fiddling the tax to circumvent an absurd VAT rate on a container load of garlic.

There is no fairness in that at all.

None.

Look at the bankers has become the most overused phrase around

Sure he's a grand lad, he's a saint compared to them bankers
Why go after me, go after the bankers instead. Don't jail me until you jail them

And where does it stop, do we convict nobody?
And why are people bringing murder and rape into this thread?

He's guilty, a crook and he was caught. And he won't come close to serving six years

Look at the bankers has become the most overused phrase around

Theres probably a pretty good reason for that don't you think?

Why after 5 years has the State not troubled itself to bring to account those involved in bankrupting the Country but can deal exceptionally efficiently with a tax dodger without connections or the right school tie...

Or have you missed both my point and the last 5 years?

I was here alright and didn't miss the last five years but every case if different and every case should be judged on its own

I was here alright and didn't miss the last five years but every case if different and every case should be judged on its own

Ok the guy did wrong, he tried to fraud the state out of thousands of Euro, no doubt about it. He has got the punishment BUT can someone tell me why the likes of BERTIE, MOLLOY, FITZPATRICK et al are not in jail??????? It's a bizarre situation, they are responsible for bringing this country to its knees and there is no punishment for them except big pensions and million euro payoff, a tad unfair in my honest opinion.

Ok the guy did wrong, he tried to fraud the state out of thousands of Euro, no doubt about it. He has got the punishment BUT can someone tell me why the likes of BERTIE, MOLLOY, FITZPATRICK et al are not in jail??????? It's a bizarre situation, they are responsible for bringing this country to its knees and there is no punishment for them except big pensions and million euro payoff, a tad unfair in my honest opinion.

Because they havn't been charged or found guilty of anything... YET

I also think this sentence was way OTT. Why is this man been singled out as an example to others. Surely the punishment should fit the crime and has nothing to do with others.
He did wrong, he co-operated, he's paying what he owes so I don't understand why hammer him as well.
I certainly could not understand the judges comment, "he's a decent man, he gives to charity" and then give him six years. Sounds like speaking out of both sides of his mouth

Perhaps he should have called them bulbs not apples

Was Listening to the radio this morning apparently this is a new departure where tax dodgers and welfare cheats will be punished to the maximum allowable under law ie prison un exemple pour les autres if you will.

Thinking about it after hearing this,it really is kind of a no brainer,we just cannot afford welfare cheats or tax dodgers anymore and if the threat of prison deters them the so be it it and if they are not deterred and subsequently caught??good enough for them.

Back