Garden Trees & Flowers

Leesider32

Hi all,

Looking at getting a cherry blossom for the garden but know there are a number of different types so wondering what are longest flowering ones you can get in Ireland?

Also have an empty flower bed and looking to plant some wildflowers and possibly 1/2 shrubs in it, I would like that they attract bees, what would your recommendations be?

Thanks

There.are plenty of plants that attract wildlife bees etc. Buddleia is called the butterfly bush but is a vigorous climber. You should work out the direction you are facing, are you sunny shady . Generally colourful and scented are good for bees with plenty of flowers for example lavender

Hi all,

Just to add to this when do fuchsias become available to buy again? Obviously can't visit a garden centre at the moment but the online stores are saying out of stock/out of season

Thanks

This is where I got my advice - https://pollinators.ie/gardens/

In the end I left two strips in my back garden grow wild. I read somewhere that the soil in your garden already contains plant and flower seeds if you just let them grow.

Most of those will be weed seeds that outgrow the kind of plants insects particularly like and will then spread into other areas of your garden. But "grow wild" definitely fits the COVID-19 zeitgeist, so go with the flow and enjoy observing how it all unfurls?

Every garden will be different. Besides, what we call weeds, creepy crawlies call food. Some caterpillars only eat nettle leaves, for example. It's not just about bees either, it's about biodiversity.

Back