Garden Room 25m2 - Rental Query

Stoneybroke

Building a garden room 25m2 in my garden. This will essentially be a self contained unit with kitchen, bathroom and living area with heating etc. It will have it's own entrance via my side garden.

Building is below requirements for planning for use as a garden room. (the bedroom etc are for future proofing the room in case one of my kids wants to move in to save for a mortgage etc)

Is there anyway to generate an income from this above board? Can it be used for Airbnb the odd time?

depends where you're building. Check your local council for their definition of "habitable". Dublin co. council for example defines habitable as having a kitchen in it so would need planning

Thanks for your replies.
This room will meet all requirements in order to be habitable - it will have a kitchen, washing machine etc. It will also have a shower room and toilet. It will have electric heating.
It is not intended initially for residing in, just for teens to hang out in, but just thinking down the line.
I am based in South Dublin County Councils area.

if it’s to be lived in or used for commercial purposes (I.e rented) then it’s not exempt from planning even if below sqm. Adding it to public drains etc for shower and toilet without planning is also debatable.

That needs planning, sticking in a kitchen/bathroom/bedroom but saying no one is using it doesn't fly with planners! If anyone complains or council gets wind of it they will make you remove those bits if not the lot. I read these posts regularly on the Log Cabin fb page,

That needs planning, sticking in a kitchen/bathroom/bedroom but saying no one is using it doesn't fly with planners! If anyone complains or council gets wind of it they will make you remove those bits if not the lot. I read these posts regularly on the Log Cabin fb page,
Actually, someone I know did all of this ("garden room" with kitchen, bathroom, shower, plumbed etc.). Planning enforcement came out and said "its fine, there's no bedroom". Someone is now living in it and planning enforcement won't do anything. Case closed.

Apparently each council has different definitions of "habitable" and our councils doesn't say a kitchen and bathroom mean habitable

Actually, someone I know did all of this ("garden room" with kitchen, bathroom, shower, plumbed etc.). Planning enforcement came out and said "its fine, there's no bedroom". Someone is now living in it and planning enforcement won't do anything. Case closed.

Apparently each council has different definitions of "habitable" and our councils doesn't say a kitchen and bathroom mean habitable
Interesting! A risky business though, you'd want to be sure which way your local council will go! I see posts where they had to remove a toilet even which to be fair would be handy in a garden room whatever one was using it for, I often wish I had a toilet in the garden somewhere to save me changing shoes etc if I need to go in to use it.

Back