Garden options

tilsun

Hi, we currently have about 8m x2m of very uneven and ugly concrete outside our back door, and then grass.
We would like to improve the look of the garden and also the flow of rainwater as it currently pools in patches on the concrete.
As far as I know our options would be
(A) to stick with concrete but level it,
(B) paving stones to create a patio or
(C) decking, realistically composite for longevity.
Am I missing an option?
Could anyone help me with the pros and cons of each as I really know nothing and we have left the garden to last because we feel so clueless. Or point me in the direction of unbiased information?
We have young children but no pets if that is relevant, and no side access to garden.
Thanks

I would try to use this as a remodeling opportunity and incorporate a small pond if you can. You would attract the most wonderful variety of wildlife with a pond and some nice shrubs.

It also depends on available money. Any work involving machinery, e.g. digging up earth/concrete is going to be costly.

Another option, depending on the ages of the children, is to level the concrete using some sort of exterior leveling compound, incorporating a "fall" or slope to deal with the rainwater. Possibly going to a covered gully between it and the garden.
Then install astroturf/artificial grass, a sandpit and play-area for the kids, all on the newly leveled/astroturfed concrete section.

Thanks all.
No I don't think we would manage a pond just now.
I love the ease of artificial grass but the cost of doing it right is prohibitive for now.
I am worried that breaking up the concrete will break the bank too. I'll get a quote and might have to go with sloped concrete if it's too much.
Thanks

Thanks all.
No I don't think we would manage a pond just now.
I love the ease of artificial grass but the cost of doing it right is prohibitive for now.
I am worried that breaking up the concrete will break the bank too. I'll get a quote and might have to go with sloped concrete if it's too much.
Thanks
A good picture of the plot might help even more?

Why not just do grass with some raised beds in the sunny corner. I don’t like artificial grass. It looks unnatural and is not easy on the eye. I would not choose it. An alternative would be a small paved area with surrounding wildflower lawn. Cheap as a packet of seeds and a few paving slabs for a chair or two. Much easier on the eye and easy to do.

Back