Garden Fork-Handle snapped off-Need Repair job

IsleOfMan

The handle has snapped off my garden fork. Snapped in two. I need to have the handle replaced including taking out the trapped piece of wood near the fork.

Is there somewhere in South County Dublin seaside where I might get this done. Looking for first hand recommendation. Thanks

Replacing a handle is very much a DIY type effort, and gone are the days when the local hardware store would help you out if you purchased the handle there. Indeed many people now just throw away the broken one and replace it.

Perhaps try a local handyman type service, sometimes notice boards in local supermarkets are a good place to try if you can't get a recommendation.

Unfortunately it has become uneconomical to get repairs like this done, unless you do it yourself. A replacement ash handle is 12 euro +, just for the handle. With handles riveted in, it can be a right pain to remove them at times.

Thanks. I thought that, that might be the situation. The fork is very good quality over 50 years old. I might have a go at a DIY job, maybe burn out the wood. Plenty of YouTubes showing you how to do it. I would still like someone to do it for me though.....I'm sort of lazy in that department....prefer to spend the time planting the veggies etc.

Would a garden centre or a tool hire place be of any help??
They might not do it themselves but might know of somebody

maybe burn out the wood

@IsleOfMan - instead of burning it out, maybe drill it out, assuming you have a drill / drill bits etc. Once the wood is broken up from within the head, the wood should come out easily. Sorry, I don't have a recommendation of where to go though.

I've done such in the past for spades and other garden tools, not much to it once you get going.

You would probably buy a new one for not much more than 12 euro ...... And less hassle...

@IsleOfMan - instead of burning it out, maybe drill it out, assuming you have a drill / drill bits etc. Once the wood is broken up from within the head, the wood should come out easily. Sorry, I don't have a recommendation of where to go though.

I've done such in the past for spades and other garden tools, not much to it once you get going.
I echo this and I have done this in the past with builder’s spades by drilling the wood out that’s stuck in the metal head and buying a replacement handle. Takes time but with a good fork head that’s 50 years old it would be a shame to throw it out and you will get satisfaction from saving it. Different tool but last year I repaired a 70 year old 5 feet long wooden pruner which is working fine and has my late grandfather’s name scratched into the wood by him.

I think it's great to have something repaired rather than submit to the 'throwaway' culture. Can you make contact with your local Men's Shed? Usually plenty of handy people there who would love to help out.

Back