Gardai want to close clubs at 1.30am

H

househunter1

I thought these guys were here to serve and protect, not dictate to us how we should lead our lives?

Being a frequenter of nightclubs myself I don't particularly like the idea of them closing early. There's just not enough time to get drunk enough to end up in coppers if they close at 1.30!!

However, I do think that there's a problem out there. I've seen plenty of it. The sad part of this is that those of us who know how to enjoy ourselves without causing too much of a disruption will be affected. Part of me is in favour of this and part of me isn't (mainly the drunk part).

I think this is enitrely the wrong way to go. I can't remember the last time I made it to a nightclub but I used to work shift and they were the only place you could go for a drink after work. This treats people as children so they will act as children and drink faster and all come wandering out at the same time just as drunk.

Nogser

This treats people as children

You could well argue that any closing time treats people as children. Why should nightclubs close at all. Have the present licensing laws been treating us all as children up 'til now?

They are based upon a homogenous view of society which has changed dramatically in recent years.

Nogser

While I disagree with the 1.30 closing time it does seem that people are behaving like children and so are being treated like them, not the other way around.

There was a very interesting contributor to The Right Hook on Newstalk on this subject. A professor of pyschology from the University of London. His view was that history teaches that prohibitionist activities will fail. That what we want to achieve is a change in culture. This short term measure will lead to an increased rate of consumption rather than a cultural change. By going the other way and allowing greater freedom of opening hours you will experiencing a short increase in the antisocial behaviour but are likely to cause a cultural change to more sensible drinking. People drink more sensibly and slower when they have deadline.

Nogser

Gardai want to close clubs at 1.30am....

or is it MickeyMack that wants to ?

Cops

That's more like it !!

Shut down bars and clubs at 1.30am ... do away with the cops night shift !!

That'll take the pressure off the famous 2000 Gardai Mickey Mack promised at the last election.

Re: Cops

That'll take the pressure off the famous 2000 Gardai Mickey Mack promised at the last election

If you're right what does this say about us? Do we need 2000 more gardai to police us all at night? This law may not be right (for many people who believe it affects their civil liberties) but it doesn't negate the fact that we have a problem, which is more of a cultural one than a policing one IMO.

The opening hours should be extended across the board, but the politicians are too scared to take a measeure like that as they think all of us thick Irish will spend all night in the pub. I always use the Gaiety theatre as a prime example of where this is incorrect. It stays serving till 4am but anytime I've been there the place has always started emptying out around 2.30 - 3ish and is only about a quarter full by 3.30. This is because a lot of people have had enough by then. People can make up their own minds on this. Plus you don't have the "skulling three pints coming up to last orders cos the bar is about to stop serving" syndrome.

Extending opening hours would reduce the amount of people coming out at the same time, as everyone could chose when they wanted to leave at any time between 2 and say 4.30.

We'd be intelligent enough to leave when we felt we'd had enough but we're stupid enough to skull a load of drinks ten minutes before closing time, ensuring that we're screwed when we leave!!??!!

I actually agree with you mind you...especially about the Gaeity.

However, I think this law is aimed at young people really and not really our age group (big presumption that most of us here are late twenties or over).

None of this surprises me. Ireland, the nanny state.

Our rights are being eroded. They got the smoking ban though with little opposition, the plastic bag tax, indiscriminate bin tax, zero tollerance speeding/penalty point farce, and changed our vote in the Nice treaty.

In the pipeline is chewing gum tax and now this.

If it was the British doing this to us, there would be an uprising.

Re: .

Our rights are being eroded.
No No No - your rights to blow smoke into others lungs are eroded. Your right to dump your plastic bags in the hedgrows are eroded. Your rights to drive dangerously and put lives of others at risk are eroded. All very positive moves for society.

All I know is that by 1.30 am, I just want to be home in my own bed.

The smoking ban has huge support. The majority of us in Ireland want it.
The plastic bag tax also makes sense.

Some of your other points make sense...penalty points etc.

Why do people always bring up this nanny state lark whenever a law is introduced that may be unpopular?

The point here isn't whether they are 'good' or 'bad'. The point is that they are RULES. We are forced to comply.

It's all very cynical. Introduce these 'feel good' bans and taxes, get people used to it. Then come along with stuff such as closing clubs early (because it's for our own good), and why not curfews while we're at it?

This was my objection to the smoking ban. It's great in the short term - people can breath fresh air blah, blah, blah... But look what's on the horizon.

Don't agree

Sorry, have to interject - the plastic bag tax makes no sense. It has evolved just to be a tax by stealth.

The reason it makes no sense is that there is no "green" alternative in our supermarkets to using plastic bags, i.e. paper bags. What people are encouraged to do is to bring your "own" plastic bags, or bring your "longer lasting" plastic bags, but it's a weak attempt to reduce the amount of plastic bags in circulation.

The final solution, ban every last plastic bag in shops and supermarkets and replace with paper alternative, for free. This is the only solution to the problem that is takes circa 500 years for a plastic bag to degrade (who is monitoring this fact btw?).

But, where would the little taxes come from then?

The point is that they are RULES. We are forced to comply.

In any democratic society we're forced to comply with all sorts of rules.

Re: Don't agree

The reason it makes no sense is that there is no "green" alternative in our supermarkets to using plastic bags

What about the green re-usable carrier bags that (AFAIK) all supermarkets now sell?

What about the green re-usable carrier bags that (AFAIK) all supermarkets now sell?

They probably take even longer to degrade.
My cupboard is now full of re-usable carrier bags instead of the old thin type. I try to remember to bring a couple of bags with me, but nearly always seem to end up buying the re-usable ones.

Back