Gardai issue warning about accessing online bank acs on mobile phones

Does it help to have a good anti-virus and which is the best. I currenty use Avast mobile security and it seems ok. I do all my banking on my phone including transfers through currencyfair, making payments through PayPal etc. This warning is rather worrying.

When I see articles peppered with "can be" and "may" I know nothing catastrophic has happened YET. Just be sensible.

• As suggested, use your bank's app to do your online business
  • If you must use a browser, install the security extensions, (Web of Trust, Ad Blockers, malware & virus checkers)
  • Use two-level protection for card transactions (e.g. Verified by VISA)
  • Do NOT send personal identity or banking details in clear via text message or email. Unless you use Apple's iMessage from one iPhone/iPad to another, the contents can be read. Apple's iMessages are encrypted end-to-end and travel via their own routing system rather than a phone company's.
  • If you want to use your mobile device to store sensitive data (IBANs, passwords, usernames, PPSN, insurance / investment details, medical information) then encrypt it inside a password protected app (e.g. 1PassWord) inside a password protected device which can be tracked and/or disabled remotely (enable Find My iPhone, install Prey)
  • Watch out for shoulder-surfers when out and about. If you must do online banking from the pub/cafe, do it with your back to a wall!

This is not an exhaustive list, feel free to add to it or I can gather other suggestions and craft a key-post, if we don't already have one on this specific topic.

If this sounds like a lot to take on then maybe you need to resort to queueing at the ATM or in-branch.

When I see articles peppered with "can be" and "may" I know nothing catastrophic has happened YET.

It's already happening, just no reported cases of the Irish banks being hit yet, but it's likely just a matter of time.

Use two-level protection for card transactions (e.g. Verified by VISA

If your device has been compromised you should note that this will give you no extra protection. The primary objective of Verified by VISA or Master Card's 3D Secure is the transfer the risk to you, the cardholder rather than the credit card provider.

Can I ask a question or 2 of ye computer/financial tech heads.

Question one, how safe is it registering a bank card to the Google Play store ? For purchasing apps.

Question two, I sometimes pay bills online on android phone by card and Chrome asks me if i'd like to scan my card. I always reject the offer. How safe would it be to accept the offer ?

My non tech way to deal with this, is to use a debit card, on an account with a limited balance.

If it is scammed my maximum loss is about €100

My non tech way to deal with this, is to use a debit card, on an account with a limited balance.

If it is scammed my maximum loss is about €100

Do you mean a visa debit card?

Thing is alot of people have to have a few grand in their accounts to qualify for free banking,.... a bit of worry there.

Question one, how safe is it registering a bank card to the Google Play store ? For purchasing apps.

If you have sole access to your phone, and you're reasonably cautious about the apps you install, there should be no problems. If for example kids have access to the phone and use or download freemium games, then you could be in for a nasty surprise.

Question two, I sometimes pay bills online on android phone by card and Chrome asks me if i'd like to scan my card. I always reject the offer. How safe would it be to accept the offer ?

Similar again, if someone gets access to your device either physically or via malware, they will be able to obtain your credit card information.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :) Yeah I have a seldom used personal account that normally has very little money in it so I'm going to set that up with Google Play.
I've got away with free apps up to now but there's a couple of pay apps that i'd like to purchase and try out, very small money.

I'm not an Android expert although I have a tablet, but PayPal on macOS / iOS is very handy (too handy at times!). In the fast-moving tech payments scene I'd probably be regarded as a long-term PayPal user.

Back