Garda ticket for parking on footpath

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think it was a bit of a shock to my neighbour as he has been parking cars outside his house on footpath for 30 years with no problems and then he gets a ticket out of the blue.

I can see how important it is that the Guards keep our footpaths safe, we can all sleep easier in our beds knowing they are issuing soft tickets like this.

My father was in a wheelchair foir the last year of his life. When cars parked on the footpath I had to wheel him out on the road to get around the car thus risking mine & his life. GRRR...this makes my blood boil.

My father was in a wheelchair foir the last year of his life. When cars parked on the footpath I had to wheel him out on the road to get around the car thus risking mine & his life. GRRR...this makes my blood boil.

My guess is that it makes blood boil on both sides of the arguement. On one hand, the law is that you can not park on a footpath. Yet many do it, and most of the time there are no penalties, but sometimes there are. It's like football, with confusion over rules due to their inconsistent interpretation!

I would say if you were to ask the person on the street, many would not know that it's illegal to park on the footpath. Perhaps what is needed here is an awareness drive.

My guess is that it makes blood boil on both sides of the arguement. On one hand, the law is that you can not park on a footpath. Yet many do it, and most of the time there are no penalties, but sometimes there are. It's like football, with confusion over rules due to their inconsistent interpretation!

I would say if you were to ask the person on the street, many would not know that it's illegal to park on the footpath. Perhaps what is needed here is an awareness drive.

It's basic common sense that it is not a good idea to park on the footpath. Footpaths are for pedestrians. Some of these will be in buggies, wheelchairs, be visually impaired eyc. Parking on the path makes life difficult for these people.

Do drivers need an awareness campaign in courtesy & common sense perhaps??

The nice bit of parking that totally gets to me is the recent trend where some houses have more cars than their driveway permits so the last car in completely blocks the pedestrian footpath. Find it happening regularly in our estate these days.

I would say if you were to ask the person on the street, many would not know that it's illegal to park on the footpath.

Its in the Rules of the Road that it is illegal to park on the footpath. They shouldnt have a driving license if they dont know the rules.

Have alook at this link. Maybe this poster should be displayed more and maybe on seeing it you might think twice before parking on a footpath.

[broken link removed]

Its in the Rules of the Road that it is illegal to park on the footpath. They shouldnt have a driving license if they dont know the rules.

Maybe they don't have one! Sher you don't need a drivers license to be driving in this country. ;)

I've often wondered as I squeeze past parked cars with a buggy (making sure to fold in the wing mirror just to pass on a bit of the annoyance) - if I scrape the car's paintowork with the buggy, can that be considered criminal damage or is it the driver's fault for leaving the car parked badly? It is usually at the most dangerous spots where drivers feel the need to get their car as far off the road as possible - without considering that they are forcing buggies and wheelchairs at the most dangerous spots!

Back