Gardaí cannot have visible tattoos...

I hate tattos, in my own case I never understood why I would want to put a bumper sticker on a Bentley!

Having said that, I was watching 24 hrs in Custody on Channel 4 on Monday night about an attempted murder in Luton. Only person who didn't seem to have a tattoo was the criminal (who got 22 years incidentally), all the police, male and female seemed to have visible tattoos.

I can see the logic if the tattoo was likely to be offensive or devisive but if some drunk is coming at me with a bottle and a Garda intervenes, I won't be worried about whether he/she has a tattoo or not.

if some drunk is coming at me with a bottle and a Garda intervenes, I won't be worried about whether he/she has a tattoo or not.
Best of luck finding a Garda to intervene.... Difficult enough getting them to answer the actual station phone at the best of times.let alone expect them to be jumping in front of flying bottles in a heroic attempt to protect the citizenry.

I really do not like tattoos at all. I do not believe that professional people should have visible tattoos in any profession.
I hate them on sports people too by the way. My opinion, of course .
I don't like tattoos and I agree that the candidate knew the rules before applying and so it's fair enough that they were dumped out. I also think that it is a silly rule and should be changed.

By the way, what constitutes a profession in the context of this discussion?
It takes longer to train to be qualified in any trade than it does to be a Garda so I'm not sure how they fall under any definition of what it is to be a profession.

I would not like to see doctors or surgeons covered in tattoos. I wouldn't like that teachers are covered in tattoos either. And as bad as they are on men I think they look worse on girls and women , in my opinion of course.. I have no problem with a small one on an arm or leg but not all over that can be seen by everyone..

I would not like to see doctors or surgeons covered in tattoos. I wouldn't like that teachers are covered in tattoos either. And as bad as they are on men I think they look worse on girls and women , in my opinion of course.. I have no problem with a small one on an arm or leg but not all over that can be seen by everyone..
Are there any rules around tattoos on teachers?
I wouldn't like to see her teaching primary school kids.
2_PAY-h_MDRUM_Satanic_Accused_-_7.jpg

2_PAY-h_MDRUM_Satanic_Accused_-_7.jpg
I wouldn't like her as my , scary, teacher or even a friend. I would have to say no thanks not for me..luv

Last edited:
I would not like to see doctors or surgeons covered in tattoos.

A lot of doctors (including surgeons) have tattoos. In my circle of friends it's at least 25% and there are probably more that I'm not aware of.

And as bad as they are on men I think they look worse on girls and women , in my opinion of course..

Do you think that's just a social stigma that people have been fed? Like the idea that pink is for girls.

I wouldn't like her as my , scary, teacher or even a friend. I would have to say no thanks not for me..luv

I don't have any and don't feel strongly about them one way or the other so I find it hard to understand why they would affect someone's profession. Fair enough if it says "I hate animals" across their forehead and they are supposed to be a vet but most tattoos are pretty tame.

A lot of people feel the same way as you but for those of us who don't care can you explain what is so bad about a visible tattoo?

I'm
A lot of doctors (including surgeons) have tattoos. In my circle of friends it's at least 25% and there are probably more that I'm not aware of.

Do you think that's just a social stigma that people have been fed? Like the idea that pink is for girls.

I don't have any and don't feel strongly about them one way or the other so I find it hard to understand why they would affect someone's profession. Fair enough if it says "I hate animals" across their forehead and they are supposed to be a vet but most tattoos are pretty tame.

A lot of people feel the same way as you but for those of us who don't care can you explain what is so bad about a visible tattoo?
I know that lots of people have tattoos and that is the way it is and I don't really care who has them but I still don't like them and never will.

I don't have any and don't feel strongly about them one way or the other so I find it hard to understand why they would affect someone's profession.
I don't care if people have them either. I don't like them but that's my problem, not theirs.
I also don't know why they would affect someone's profession or their job.

I'd like the best surgeon operating on me, and the best electrician wiring my house, their body art wouldn't really be a consideration unless it was offensive or extremist in nature.

Last edited:
I was watching the athletics last night, Polish runner (female) had a big tattoo of a gun on her bicep. it looked dreadful to be honest and I can understand why the Gardai, (as an example) would not want something like that visible on a recruit. But if you are dumb enough to get a tattoo like that, surely it says a lot as well about your decision making ability and sheer lack of cop on.

Circa 100 years ago, pink was for boys. Judging people as somehow untrustworthy based on tattoos is just more recently outdated.

I was watching the athletics last night, Polish runner (female) had a big tattoo of a gun on her bicep. it looked dreadful to be honest and I can understand why the Gardai, (as an example) would not want something like that visible on a recruit. But if you are dumb enough to get a tattoo like that, surely it says a lot as well about your decision making ability and sheer lack of cop on.
I can see why a gun tattoo would be a problem, as would an overtly political statement, so I suppose it's simpler to just ban all visible tattoo's.

Thankfully a very Conservative organisation so no chance she'll win. Lovely girls don't have tats.

very Conservative

Just like yourself so. I can't stand tattoos or body piercings but each to their own. I was furious when my daughter got two large tattoos but as I say that's her business.

Lovely girls don't have tats

I still consider my daughter to be a lovely girl (and so do most people who know her) even if she does have tattoos. They don't change her kind and pleasant personality.

Just like yourself so. I can't stand tattoos or body piercings but each to their own. I was furious when my daughter got two large tattoos but as I say that's her business.

I still consider my daughter to be a lovely girl (and so do most people who know her) even if she does have tattoos. They don't change her kind and pleasant personality.
My daughter has a large tattoo. She got it at 18 and now wants to get rid of it. She's 19.

By the way tattoos don't make people either good or bad people or good or bad at their job. I would not be rude or not talk to someone who has one. I just don't like them. Just saying..

Back