Garage Conversion, change of use

1eyeonthefuture

Had considered renovating and letting out under rent a room (posted an earlier thread on same) but a non starter as its a detached garage. Also seriously doubt if planning would be granted for a self contained unit.

Garage is largely wasted as it stands now (2 storey approx 600 ft) and the Mrs suggested converting it to a play area for our young kids to later be used as a study come TV room where they could be with their mates when they get older. I could also install a small office for myself (if I'm let!)
Does anyone familiar with the rules know would I need to aply for a change of use for the space in order to do such a job.
Many thanks in advance for any input.

The uses you are suggesting above are all classed as ancillary to the enjoyment of the main dwelling, and so planning would not be required unless you make changes to the exterior. Even the office is fine unless you end up using it as the base for a business, in which case change of use might be required.

As a matter of interest Leo, would one then have to pay property tax on it if people were living in it?

As a matter of interest Leo, would one then have to pay property tax on it if people were living in it?

Unless you divide the property into two folios, it's still a single property for the purposes of this tax.

You can't legally have people living in a garage so obviously the scenario isn't considered in the property tax legislation. Depending on size/ space, you might get permission to separate the folio and create two dwellings, at that point each would become separate properties, the new one would escape property tax until the review comes around in 2021 I think.

The uses you are suggesting above are all classed as ancillary to the enjoyment of the main dwelling, and so planning would not be required unless you make changes to the exterior. Even the office is fine unless you end up using it as the base for a business, in which case change of use might be required.
Great, appreciated Leo.
I would look at putting in a tilt and slide glass door system in so that we can see the kids from the comfort of our kitchen. At present there are 2 small windows in place. Would this constitute a change to exterior (2 windows, 1 door replaced by large floor to ceiling glass). Thanks

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread. I have a question which I tried to post in another thread but it was locked. If I have a garage connected to my PDH with a bathroom, bedroom and small kitchen but have a locked door into my house (albeit with a wardrobe in front of it) is this classed as a fully self contained unit meaning I have to register with the RTB or am I covered under rent a room with a tenant being a licencee as opposed to a tenant. Any thoughts Leo? Many Thanks

I am not sure to be honest. When I bought the house it was already converted into a playroom so i never got any planning permission. I just converted into a self contained unit. Thanks

I actually read in full my surveyors report from when I bought the house. He has confirmed that planning was approved to convert the garage.I didn't extend the floor area beyond 40 square meters also. I have just added an en suite and a small kitchen to a room in my house and put in their own door. I kept the door into my home but have it locked thats why I am thinking that its a licencee agreement as opposed to a tenant but I am open to correction.

I have just added an en suite and a small kitchen to a room in my house and put in their own door.

Was planning granted for that? In all the permission granted for such self-contained units I have seen, there is a condition attached that the unit must never be rented, and can only be occupied by family. Planning to convert a garage into a playroom (ancillary use) )is a long way off that required to convert it to a self-contained unit.

Back