Gap in employment, is PRSI etc effected??

Golfer18

Finishing up with current employer next week and will be technically unemployed for a week(my choice) before i start in new company.Will anything be effected, ie PRSI, credits etc.

I don't know the answer to your question but I would like to tag one on if I may?

Can someone explain exactly the implication of having 'gaps' in your employment record? Surely between people going off to travel, changing jobs, being unemployed etc. there are a lot of people in this position?

Finishing up with current employer next week and will be technically unemployed for a week(my choice) before i start in new company.Will anything be effected, ie PRSI, credits etc.
You should sign on for the week to make sure that you get a PRSI credit while unemployed even if you may not get any Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance payment.

I don't know the answer to your question but I would like to tag one on if I may?

Can someone explain exactly the implication of having 'gaps' in your employment record? Surely between people going off to travel, changing jobs, being unemployed etc. there are a lot of people in this position?
Not sure what you mean either but gaps in PRSI contributions may well impact ones ability to claim certain PRSI linked benefits. In such cases one may still be able to apply for non PRSI linked means tested allowances. Hardly surprising thought that not paying PRSI might affect one's ability to claim PRSI linked benefits? In some cases foreign social insurance contributions may be counted for the purposes of granting PRSI credits or else one may qualify for welfare benefits from the foreign country.

Gaps of a couple of weeks in any year rarely affect entitlements.....for instance, maximum pension is payable when there is an average of 48 PRSI contributions/credits over your working life. A minimum of 39 contributions/credits is the general rule for qualifying for short-term payments such as illness/jobseeker's benefits. "Signing on" for the week (Mon-Fri, say) does not necessarily get over the gap of one week as a credit will only be awarded for a full BENEFIT week (Weds-Tues).

"Signing on" for the week (Mon-Fri, say) does not necessarily get over the gap of one week as a credit will only be awarded for a full BENEFIT week (Weds-Tues).
Fair enough - I stand corrected. My point was really that it's always a good idea to sign on just in case.

Back