Gameboy Advanced ... any info appreciated

B

biggerry

Biggerry junior (who's 6) has just informed us that he wan'ts a Gameboy Advanced for Christmas.

I know nothing about this. If the price is reasonable we'll probably pick him up one.

Does anybody have any experience with these?
How much do they cost ?
Are they similar to PlayStaions / Xbox where the games are region dependent? If so, what "region" do I need to buy?
Are there many games available?
What do they cost?

Any other info would be appreciated!!

Make sure you get the newer model. I have the older one and the screen is so dark it's really hard to see the games.

They're available in Argos. Think about €120 ish but not entirely sure.
They're not like the playstation or xbox in that they're hand held consoles but I don't know about regions.

There are loads of games available and the last time I bought one I think it was around €40.

Thanks for the quick reply Cahir!

How can I make sure that I'm getting the newer model? Is there a number or something that I can look out for?

Do you know if they are region specific i.e. if I buy a game from Ebay, do they need to be in a particular format?

The newer model has a flip up lid whereas the older one doesn't. The older one will be cheaper too.

Not sure about the region thing as I've only bought the games in shops here. Might be best to ask in the shop.

Hi Biggerry,

The Gameboy Advance is still available but Gameboy Advance SP is the latest edition and you would probably need to check out which one exactly he is talking about. Regions don't appear to apply.

They can be quite expensive but Smyths are usually the cheapest. The games can be dear from €35 to €60+. You can get them second-hand also. Smyths do good deals on bundles for Christmas and are usually cheaper than GAME because they have to convert their prices from sterling.

See here Some of the accessories here are useful also and perhaps some relatives could buy some of these. You could check out which ones he would like and price them in Smyths also.

My daughter is into Gameboy so if you have any further questions just shout. This previous thread might be worth a read

You can get games online at www.sendit.com or www.cd-wow.com delivered to your door for a lot less than you will pay in places like Game, Smyths are fairly good pricewise as well. I've got games from the US much cheaper and work fine. If you know anyone going to the US on a shopping trip they could get the Gameboy Advance SP there much cheaper than here.

Re: VAT

"If you know anyone going to the US on a shopping trip they could get the Gameboy Advance SP there much cheaper than here"

Things would appear to have tightened up on this as discussed

Re: Gameboy Advanced

Just thought I'd let you know that I managed to pick up a GBA SP (Gameboy Advanced SP for the uninitiated!! ) on e-bay.

I got the console (choice of 6 colours), 4 games (choose from 12 different games), four player cable, carry case, neck string, ear phones (very important when going on long drives!!), screen protector, recharger all for €120 (this included registered post).

The best offer I found in Dublin was in Smyths where they were offering the console plus 2 games for €149.95.

I picked up a couple more "new" games for less than €20 each while they cost €40 in Smyths.

Back