Future proofing home

monkey0804

Hi, we are in our mid fifties. Mortgage is just about paid off. Kids in college and have college funds more or less saved/budgeted for. I've come into a small inheritance, and wanted to invest it in future proofing our home, for our later years, (for now, we don't see ourselves moving from this house).

What to do? My list is: new triple glazed windows, tinted for sun protection. External insulate house. Re do poorly done attic conversion, and insulate properly. Re-do cobble lock drive with low maintenance solution. Solar panels?

My budget won't cover all of this, and I will price and prioritise. Any advice on something else to include, or leave out?

Thanks in advance

If you're doing it for when you get older I would advise you to put a nice shower room downstairs. I did this and some said I was silly. 10 years later my elderly mother (now rip) came to live with us and she loved the shower, the shower chair, and the handle she could use to pull herself up. Also converted an extra room downstairs to a bed room. It had been a sitting room that we hardly ever used and was very simple to switch over. Now that i'm almost 70, as is Mrs noproblem, it was a very good decision.

Anything to reduce your bills expenditure is a good idea so windows, insulation and solar panels are a good place to start.

Great idea re downstairs bathroom and bedroom.

Prioritizing is smart but you may make an error there without professional advice.

Consider engaging a non tied Engineer or BER professional to advise you on sequencing work without recommending you to use this or that service provider.

Hi, we are in our mid fifties. Mortgage is just about paid off. Kids in college and have college funds more or less saved/budgeted for. I've come into a small inheritance, and wanted to invest it in future proofing our home, for our later years, (for now, we don't see ourselves moving from this house).

What to do? My list is: new triple glazed windows, tinted for sun protection. External insulate house. Re do poorly done attic conversion, and insulate properly. Re-do cobble lock drive with low maintenance solution. Solar panels?

My budget won't cover all of this, and I will price and prioritise. Any advice on something else to include, or leave out?

Thanks in advance
HI first see what grants are available from your local CC for windows I live in kildare and grants are available for home built 2011 etc but its worth a look also SEAI grants and loans for home insulating for me the full house wrap was perfect and double glazed triple if you are in a noisy area grants are are worth a look thanks

Back