Furnishing Apartment

astara

Hi

Can anyone recommend where in Dublin i can buy good quality furniture (sofa, bed, dining table) without having to pay over the top prices.

I will need to buy them within the next couple of weeks so any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Bargaintown are cheap enough. Jim Langan furniture had a sale recently. You will be waiting a couple of months if you buy from places like Reids furniture unless you buy display stuff.

Last edited:
If you are looking for quality furniture at, I think, very good prices try Meadows and Byrne in Dun Laoghaire.

My advice is to make a list of what you need and the sizes you need.

For example the max dimensions of the table and the sofas.

Critical info...especially in an apartment.
A good idea is to tape them out on the floor.
But you need to compare these dimensions to the smallest access dimensions eg front door/stairwell/lift etc.

In our first house we had to take out the bottom step of the stairs to get the Habitat sofa in...still have it 13 years later though...although not the house.

Once you have this info...go shopping and look around.
Personnally I have not been impressed by the qulaity of M & B furniture.
Bargaintown is cheap and cheerful with a short lead time...bought a double bed from them...no complaints....but not "quality"

We got our dining table in Brown Thomas's cheaper than Habitat (RIP)
Furniture places are really suffering right now...so you can get good deals.
Enjoy shopping around.

Buy one of those annual irish interior magazines...the usually list al the furniture places.

I like Kenneth Hodgins (?sp) in Stillorgan and Beacon...also Arnotts...for quality but can be €€€ but look and bargain...

At the risk of being unpatriotic, would it not be worthwhile to jump on the train and go to IKEA in Belfast - I'm sure they deliver to the Republic and would probably fit within your two week timeframe..

We recently furnished our apartment in a place called Baize House in Swords. They get their stuff from the same suppliers as Harvey Norman and Reids use but they sell for a fraction of the price! The couch we got was €3000 in Harvey Norman and we got ours there for €1400.

We recently furnished our apartment in a place called Baize House in Swords. They get their stuff from the same suppliers as Harvey Norman and Reids use but they sell for a fraction of the price! The couch we got was €3000 in Harvey Norman and we got ours there for €1400.

Its not the same quality....I got prepack furniture from them previously & it definately does not match the display models in store.

They will tell you its the same suppliers, but it definately won't be.

Bad experiences from that unknown company.:(

Here is some more information.
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=62748&highlight=baize

Its not the same quality....I got prepack furniture from them previously & it definately does not match the display models in store.

They will tell you its the same suppliers, but it definately won't be.

Bad experiences from that unknown company.:(

Here is some more information.
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=62748&highlight=baize

All the furniture is perfect, as is any that friends of mine have bought. Perhaps you have had a bad experience but I certainly did not. The couch that we got is the same model (different colour) that a neighbour bought in Harvey Normans and believe me, there is no difference in the quality.

Re Blaize...I got a washer & dryer through them. They said the discount was for external damage (scratch, dent etc)....but I had an engineer out for the washer recently and he said the range they are sell are actually seconds....they would have more substantial issues than just ex-display or a dent. Both the washer & dryer broke down just outside the years warranty.

Re Blaize...I got a washer & dryer through them. They said the discount was for external damage (scratch, dent etc)....but I had an engineer out for the washer recently and he said the range they are sell are actually seconds....they would have more substantial issues than just ex-display or a dent. Both the washer & dryer broke down just outside the years warranty.

I'm not surprised.....I have many friends who had similar issues with electrical equipment they bought at this Baize House in Finglas,....just as well that I only bought some furniture there at the time....bought all my electrical fridge & freezers at Power City...& glad too.

I have had my hotpoint seperate washer & dryer for 4 years...bought them at DID Electrical at the time.

Stick to well known stores....for some comeback in the future.

At the risk of being unpatriotic, would it not be worthwhile to jump on the train and go to IKEA in Belfast - I'm sure they deliver to the Republic and would probably fit within your two week timeframe..

Most definitely. The stuff is perfectly designed for apartment living, and very cheap.

We got some stuff there on a Thursday and were heading home on Friday and got the call that it would be delivered at 7am on Saturday.

The delivery charge is based on how many trolleys you use - £150 for 2 trolleys and £50 for each extra one. It might be cheaper to Dublin.

Back