Furnished or unfurnished

Nordkapp

May have a property coming back on the rental market and the thoughts of buying new furniture along with repainting, carpets and possible new bathroom is scaring the pocket.
A relative of mine in the rental game as an agent in the UK says he only rents unfurnished and this to me, given the high cost of rents and low amount of property to rent, seems to be a good idea.
Saves me money, wear and tear and having to store furniture where tenants have their own (happened twice to me). Included in that unfurnished house would be no washing machine or dryer. Tenants can buy their own, I have lost count as to how many washing machines I have bought in 15 years for the rentals. They are the most abused item. Giving serious credence to doing the above which will also help with the rental cap. Basically, increase rent to market cap but place is unfurnished.
Any pros or cons in regard to this?

I don't think renting the place unfurnished will allow you to get around the rent control legislation but perhaps I'm missing your point.

Primary point is saving on wear and tear items along with hassle especially when the washing machine for example goes. I'm also conscious of the 8 year write down on such items which is a joke and difficult to manage as items get worn out in advance.
Secondary was the thought of the rent cap, if the previous rent is X but the place is now X+4% but without furniture.
Either way I will give serious thought to going unfurnished.

As a con, in a normal Irish rental market, you'd lose about 90% of prospective tenants I would imagine. We simply don't "do" unfurnished rentals in my opinion. One of the benefits of renting is that you don't need to lug big items like beds, washing machines, dryers, fridges etc. from A to B to C, and if the fridge breaks down, you know the landlord is on the hook for it. I know I certainly would be telling you to take a running jump anyway, especially if you're charging market rates.
However, with current crisis of rents, I'm not surprised landlord are being creative like this. It's an expected response to the rental cap really.
Biggest "pro" is obviously you are absolving yourself from paying for and managing those items. However, you say you wouldn't deal with the "hassle" if the washing machine goes............that does leave you open to tenants buying in cheapest E50 washing machine/fridge and saying "oh well" if it leaks and destroys your flat and the one underneath. At that point, it's penny-wise, pound foolish on your part.

Thanks for the replies. No I don't do flats so leaks are not a problem.
I have had my fill of washing machine replacements (damaged seal, control box, jammed waste pipes).
Also, I would like to repaint my rental and increase the rent yearly, currently if I attempt to broach that subject I am going to be faced with matress(s) replacement or 3 piece suite. These are not easy or cheap to replace or dump. Yes, I want what is easy on me and my time.
When my rental comes back to me it will be the route I go, I may enquire with the agent on this as well.

Back