Fundraising Ideas

Smashbox

Hi everyone

I am currently in the process of raising funds for Cancer Care West and would love some opinions on ideas for fundraising. Last Sunday I had a Progressive 25 card game in my local hall (a rural area) and we raised quite a bit, although I would imagine this was more because it was a one off event rather than a weekly/monthly thing.

Have you ever fundraised or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Just three weeks ago my wife organised a sale of unwanted Christmas Presents, good quality second hand clothes, bric-a-brac among her friends and acquaintances (all of whom she asked to contribute and attend the sale). I was surprised at the amount she raised with her friends for a worthwhile charity.

Two great ideas, thanks guys.

I was thinking of running a stall at a local market alright, people always have old clothes and unwanted items around the house, so I think this will be a definite.

You could try a quiz night too. Also a bit of craic and it makes money too. In my experience not as much as the race night (where you can whip them up to spend more money) but still easy and fun to arrange and partake in. You could also sell sandwiches, crisps, tea/coffee at both.

Another thing we used to do was to approach local businesses for a 'spot prize'. Say the local Supervalu for a tenners worth of pork chops, or the bookshop for a gift voucher, and then sell raffle tickets for,say, 50 cent each at the start of the event. We'd then have a draw every so often over the course of the evening and we'd always loudly announce who was so generous as to have provided the prize to give them a bit of publicity

As I think about it another thing we did was to print a 'race-card' for the race nights and get local businesses to 'sponsor' a race. It might only have been 20 extra pounds (in those days) to the winner but sure it pulled the bets in.

Good luck with it! You'll need a bit of a brass neck to go out and about with your begging bowl but it'll be well worth doing so.

Two great ideas, thanks guys.

I was thinking of running a stall at a local market alright, people always have old clothes and unwanted items around the house, so I think this will be a definite.

Would there be anything stopping you from running a car boot sale especially with the warmer weather coming in? Not sure if you need a licence of some description for the car boot sales.

In the workplace/sporting team etc. get people to submit a picture of themselves as a young baby. Print them onto sheets of paper with a couple of lines beneath. People pay a fee (say €5) to enter the competition and guess who the baby face is. Take some of the money out of the kitty as a prize. Always great to see management in a different light!

Also if you're in a workplace having cake sales always help raise a few pennies.

My company will double match any donations that employees make to a charity - perhaps approach your emplyer to see if they would match donations made from in-house events?

Was at a fundraiser 1 night in a pub. a large jar was put in the middle of the floor, a line drawn and everyone rolled a euro coin along the floor to see who could get closest to it without passing it. As each coin got nearer to the jar, the 1 before went into it. It was amazing the amount of money raised in an hour.

Some great ideas, thanks everyone.

To date I have raised €3270 so not doing too badly, but every cent helps and I'm happy to help such a worthy cause. (http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mariankelly/)

Car Boot Sales are limited around my area, but I will definitely keep an eye out for anything. Writing down all these ideas, thanks everyone :)

Back