Full time workers who become unemployed will be discriminated against by Pay Related Jobseekers Benefit

isn't this a fundamental feature of PRSI, that's it's based on weeks?
Yes, that the way contributions are paid for and granted.

However since 31st March 2025, benefits can be granted or denied based on the number of hours worked per week.
 
Im planning to finish work at 60ish and claim PRJB for 9 months
The way the rules are now since March31st 2025 what will you say as to the reason for leaving employment? There's a high chance that a PRJB claim will be turned down unless you were let go involuntarily or due to redundancy.
Seems like the rules are stricter compared to JB, especially for over 62's
 
Seems like the rules are stricter compared to JB, especially for over 62's
State the reason for ceasing employment as stress or health related, or the need for a change of career.

Don't just say you are retiring.
 
Can you just leave work and go on JB?

“Need to change career” doesn’t seem like a good reason.
 
Can you just leave work and go on JB?
Yes you can.

If you state this to the deciding office you will likely have your PRJB payments cancelled for the first 9 weeks.

This means your total payments period is reduced by 9 weeks.

I don't know if this would mean the loss of the €450 per week payments.

It's wise to have a reason for ceasing employment.
 
Not sure this fits here but wondering what is the level of activation involved in signing for credits? Is it any less as you're not getting a payment? Whatever way it breaks credits will be important for me I think and before 62
 
My experience is that activation is minimal. (from age 56 in my case)

I received a few notices of local employments. These notices stated that it was not compulsory to respond.

Agree that you are available for and seeking employment and you should be fine.

If you are asked to provide evidence of seeking employment, apply on line for a few jobs and print the application forms.
 
My experience is that activation is minimal. (from age 56 in my case)
This is in the context of claiming credits only I presume because it's not my experience while claiming Jobseeker's Benefit after leaving my last employment due to stress and burnout c. age 55. I actually found the regular activation appointments added to my stress and burnout to the point that I ended up on Illness Benefit for a period of time.
 
This is in the context of claiming credits only I presume because it's not my experience while claiming Jobseeker's Benefit after leaving my last employment due to stress and burnout c. age 55
I know it's not my business but were you a software developer or something like that, i think you might have mentioned it in another thread. Obviously you don't need to answer but I've heard that alot of developers get burnt out in their 50s?
 
If the older Jobseekers benefit is more beneficial to your circumstances you can claim that
I was made redundant 6 weeks ago and started claiming pay related benefit the following week. Perhaps I should have waited a while because I was paid a month in arrears
 
If the older Jobseekers benefit is more beneficial to your circumstances you can claim that
Not if you were a full time employee.
I was made redundant 6 weeks ago and started claiming pay related benefit the following week. Perhaps I should have waited a while because I was paid a month in arrears
You must have 4 Prsi contributions in the 10 week period before you apply.

If you had delayed any longer your PRJB claim would have been refused.

The month in arrears is counted as part of your 9 months of payments.
 
Back
Top