Fuji Fine Pix 5700 Digital Camera- Any thoughts on this ?

R

r2d2

Hi All,

Looking at buying this for my Daughter's Christmas present. Pixmania seem to have it priced best so likely to buy online. I've read various reviews all of which have been positive (never suure as to their authenticty though) so I thought it was worth checking if any of you actually have one and if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

r2d2

A mate has one and swears by it - sorry, can't give you much detail other than he's into his cameras, is usually fussy and hard to please, so maybe a recommendation in itself!

A mate has one and swears by it - sorry, can't give you much detail other than he's into his cameras, is usually fussy and hard to please, so maybe a recommendation in itself!

Yes it is Caveat, thanks!

[broken link removed]

I've had the 'original of the species', the [broken link removed], for about three years now and have been well pleased with the results. If she wants a decent mid-range camera with plenty of bang-for-buck features — as opposed to a compact, shirt-pocket job — you won't go far wrong.

I am just about to buy the S5700 from Argos - They've just brought the price down from Euro 275 to 181.90

Pixmania have it at Euro 165 + 13 delivery.

I'd rather get it now than wait for post just to save Euro 4. Thats just my impatience though ;)

[broken link removed]

I've had the 'original of the species', the [broken link removed], for about three years now and have been well pleased with the results. If she wants a decent mid-range camera with plenty of bang-for-buck features — as opposed to a compact, shirt-pocket job — you won't go far wrong.

Thanks for the link...Yep, she wants an SLR style camera (for a DSLR she can wait until she's buying her own stuff!!)......

I am just about to buy the S5700 from Argos - They've just brought the price down from Euro 275 to 181.90

Pixmania have it at Euro 165 + 13 delivery.

I'd rather get it now than wait for post just to save Euro 4. Thats just my impatience though ;)

Interesting redstar...I saw it in their brochure alright but dismissed it because of the price....At €181.90 I think I'll be making a quick trip to Argos....I'm always happier to have the gift 'in my hand' when it's for a Christamas present!

Thanks All!

r2d2

I have a bridge camera similar to the S5700 and I paid a lot more than €180 for it at the start of the year (€400!). Looking at this thread I was wondering how my camera could be so much more expensive for what on the face of it looks like a very similar spec. It turns out the one feature that is missing on the Fiji is optical image stabilisation. I think the general consensus is that large zoom lenses are pretty much unusable without image stabilisation.

Almost all bridge cameras have this feature and it means zoomed shots are pretty much pin sharp. The S5700 compensates for the lack of image stabilisation by bumping up the ISO level of its sensor - in effect what this means is the zoomed shots will be grainy and wont give you great resolution. Anyhow for €180 it's still pretty good value but if you want to use that 10X zoom lens without a tripod you'll need a camera with IS - they cost about €100 more.

"To get the best from this camera you'll need to up it one notch to its highest resolution setting, for general use the factory preset is perfectly okay though.
Buy a UV filter for even better results. Macro and super Macro settings produce impressive results, and the range of features will please many.
The LCD is much better than the 5600 giving you a far better idea of pictures taken, but once you're home and viewing your shots via PC you will be impressed with Colour, depth and overall sharpness.
weak points are glare and colour cast at extreme zoom, though using a UV filter almost clears the problem completely"

Might be of some use to you.
Looking at £100 stg for one on engerland. might be worth checking out amazon,jessops etc, savings will get you that UV filter

Jessops website have it for 129.99 Sterling, so no savings there.

Amazon won't ship electronic goods to Republic of Ireland :mad:

I looked at both Jessops and Amazon (think there is a delivery issue with them to Ireland now) and pretty much everywhere else I could find but €164 with Pixmania is the best price I've found (not sure where it was seen for STG£100 ??)....The €181 in Argos is excellent but when I priced up the extras that she wanted it ended up at over €260.....Whereas the Pixmania route including all the extras will be €223.40 including delivery. The 5700 has already been replaced by the 5800 (approx €250) hence the reduction in price....Anyway, all in all it seems to be a pretty good choice for a 14 year old who has an interest in photography which needs to develop (sorry) further in order for me to be fully convinced....

Thanks,

r2d2

Back