Fuel Prices

Over Xmas I got a 5c/L off Circle K voucher that said that it couldn't be used with any other offer including fuel card discounts. But when I used the voucher and asked the teller if I could use the fuel card, he said yes, and I got the 4c/L discount on top of the voucher 5c/L discount.
I was quoting Harvard when he said he got 8c off a litre using the AXA card first and then his circle k fuelcard.

I thought you could only use one or the other. Didn't realise you could use both and get 8c off.

Over Xmas I got a 5c/L off Circle K voucher that said that it couldn't be used with any other offer including fuel card discounts. But when I used the voucher and asked the teller if I could use the fuel card, he said yes, and I got the 4c/L discount on top of the voucher 5c/L discount.

When Circle K had their fuel day in Mid December (20c off) it also allowed me to use the AXA 4c off code but the fuel card was not included in the promotion.

Passed Circle K Douglas this morning Diesel is 1.64 before discount.

Not every Circle K garage accepts the Axa QR code. You will need to check the website first.

If you find yourself having to fill up more often from April it may be due to increased fuel consumption - watch out especially if you drive an older car:

When Circle K had their fuel day in Mid December (20c off) it also allowed me to use the AXA 4c off code but the fuel card was not included in the promotion.

Passed Circle K Douglas this morning Diesel is 1.64 before discount.

Not every Circle K garage accepts the Axa QR code. You will need to check the website first.
The Maxol in Borrenamana road was 161c/l & 162c/l this morning for pet/diesel.

Even if prices aren't impacted, it's going to cost the motorist more due to the lower fuel economy of E10 versus E5.
And if you have an older car (pre 99) you might have to pay for premium fuel option at pump which could be 10c extra a litre.

When the fuel prices went above 2 euros in march 2022 following russian invasion the government deducted 15c per litre fuel taxes, of course this was all very welcome then. However that 15c deduction was based on fuel prices then above 2 euros and was calculated based on those prices, Now it looks like hopefully fuel prices could be going back to possibly 1.5 euros per litre which is more than a 25% reduction, the government is going to restore the fuel duties gradually from June, however because the fuel is now more than 25% lower the restored fuel duties should also be lower therefore by my calculations only between 10 ans 12c should be restored not 15c. Is this correct?

the restored fuel duties should also be lower therefore by my calculations only between 10 ans 12c should be restored not 15c. Is this correct?
No. Excise duties are an absolute amount per litre, not a percentage of value (that's VAT).

Last edited:
No. Excise duties are an absolute amount per litre, not a percentage of value (that's VAT).
Will be interesting to see will they be able to get all that back on again especially as they have been adding on new carbon taxes aswell, 15c back on at lower fuel prices is much more apparent than when it was taken off at above 2euros a litre. I think 10c back on is attainable politically but 15c !!, the truckers and farmers will be blockading the city again

148.9 for diesel and 162.9 for petrol in Ballon Co Carlow.. Very good price for diesel...

Back