Fuel allowance. I hope i have not defrauded the state.

Max Weber

Hi Folks.

I am getting a bit worried. I am on disability allowance and i have been claiming the fuel allowance for the past two or three years. I am now worried that i may have wrongly availed of it.

You see i was living with my grandmother and she used pay for the heating fuel. She then died two to three years ago. This left me living in the home by myself. My parents then bought the house, but have spent the last two years renovating it, whilst i was living in it by myself. This is why i was claiming the fuel allowance, for these last two or three years since my grandmother died. My parents are now moving in soon, perhaps in to this house in the next three to four months, which i will no longer claim fuel allowance.

I just hope i have not wrongly claimed the fuel allowance when i should not, for those years when i was living alone. I will pay it back if i have.

thanks in advance.

According to the citizens advice website you are entitled to fuel allowance if you are in receipt of disability allowance. Only one fuel allowance per household. I am not an expert but I would think that your grandmother was claiming it until her death and then you claimed it in your own right. If you are still worried get on to your local social welfare office, and if you obtained it when you did not qualify I am sure they would be very reasonable in setting the repayment rate.

According to the citizens advice website you are entitled to fuel allowance if you are in receipt of disability allowance. Only one fuel allowance per household. I am not an expert but I would think that your grandmother was claiming it until her death and then you claimed it in your own right. If you are still worried get on to your local social welfare office, and if you obtained it when you did not qualify I am sure they would be very reasonable in setting the repayment rate.

Yea i looked it up on that website and it says something about a deed transfer which has got me worried. I dont know what that means.

For about a year and a half after my grandmother died the house was no owned by anyone as it had to go through the solicitor. It is only in the last year and a bit that my parents have owned it outright.

I just hope i am not in trouble.

"You do not qualify for a Fuel Allowance if:
  • Your heating needs are met under a deed transferring property"

What does that mean in simple language anyone?

Back