Ftse 100 dividend index

Technically you can't buy an index - you have to buy shares in a fund/ETF that aims to track the index.

Under our tax code, you would have to pay exit tax @41% on each and every dividend payment (assuming the fund/ETF is EU-domiciled).

Depending on your tax position (ie if your marginal tax rate is (or will be) lower than 41%), you might be better off buying an investment trust (which is subject to the normal income tax/CGT regime) with a high dividend yield.

Something like City of London Investment Trust Plc might fit the bill -

Technically you can't buy an index - you have to buy shares in a fund/ETF that aims to track the index.

Under our tax code, you would have to pay exit tax @41% on each and every dividend payment (assuming the fund/ETF is EU-domiciled).

Depending on your tax position (ie if your marginal tax rate is (or will be) lower than 41%), you might be better off buying an investment trust (which is subject to the normal income tax/CGT regime) with a high dividend yield.

Something like City of London Investment Trust Plc might fit the bill -

If our penal tax code is a concern (and I agree it should be), should a high growth Investment Trust not be considered above a high dividend one?

If our penal tax code is a concern (and I agree it should be), should a high growth Investment Trust not be considered above a high dividend one?
It entirely depends on your marginal tax rate, which could be anywhere between 0% and 55% depending on your circumstances.

More importantly, do you need to invest in equities at all outside a pension wrapper? What's your pension invested in?

Are you using up valuable tax-advantaged space in your pension fund with negative yielding bonds/cash?

Looks like all the doom and negativity with respect to the ftse 100 over the last few years was over the top. A huge rise today of 2.5% added to the rises last week and the big revaluation of sterling made it one of the best weeks in years to be invested in the ftse. I think the last few days proves that you need to be invested to catch those big gains that only happen a few times every decade

Looks like all the doom and negativity with respect to the ftse 100 over the last few years was over the top. A huge rise today of 2.5% added to the rises last week and the big revaluation of sterling made it one of the best weeks in years to be invested in the ftse. I think the last few days proves that you need to be invested to catch those big gains that only happen a few times every decade

Would you say it's a good time to buy now though or has the ship sailed?

Would you say it's a good time to buy now though or has the ship sailed?
I think I would wait a bit, it's not good to be jumping after a big run up in stocks, and you never know what curve balls Johnson or trump might throw in . However I was merely pointing out that the ftse was undervalued for a long time especially since the brexit referendum. For an Irish investor the big plus has been the revaluation of sterling , that has added much more than the strong performance of the ftse in last few days. Although really you are just getting back what was lost with the big drop in sterling after the brexit referendum.
It just proves that it is wrong to react to the hysteria that grips the media and markets, the best thing was to add to investment in the ftse when it was at its most negative over the last year.

Trying to time the market is a losers game.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

Decide what exposure you want to equities and stick with your allocation through thick and thin.

If you are worried about short term volatility in the stock market, don’t invest in stocks.

Obviously “waiting a bit” to invest is just another form of market timing.

Not a sensible approach to investing.

Obviously “waiting a bit” to invest is just another form of market timing.

Not a sensible approach to investing.

I am a fan of both 'buy and hold' and not timing the market approaches.
However, the overwhelming majority opinion among experts appears to indicate that equity markets are overheated at present. While i realise that holding off on investing is a form of timing the market, a bit of tweaking to this approach seems prudent in this case.

I am a fan of both 'buy and hold' and not timing the market approaches.
However, the overwhelming majority opinion among experts appears to indicate that equity markets are overheated at present. While i realise that holding off on investing is a form of timing the market, a bit of tweaking to this approach seems prudent in this case.

The problem is that the same experts have been saying that equity markets are overheated for the past two years and they are right. I can 100% guarantee you that there will be a correction. I can 100% guarantee you that there will be another major recession. I can 100% guarantee you that there will be another banking crisis. What I can't do is tell you when!

All those experts are right and yet I bet you not one of them is underweight equities because if they were, they would clients screaming at them for underperforming their benchmark. And turning around at some point in the future saying 'I told you' will be too late. Easier to crash and burn with the index when it does happen.

The problem is that the same experts have been saying that equity markets are overheated for the past two years
But some "experts" have been saying that for alot longer , many said the crash was at beginning 2016, they were wrong then, next it was the panic at the end of 2018, that turned out to be another false alarm. Meanwhile people reading all these predictions of doom stay uninvested or with money sitting in deposit accounts (100 billion in irish deposit accounts now earning nothing)
In any case the ftse has gone nowhere in 5 years and sterling has devalued substantially (apart from the recent upsurge) , hardly an overheated stock market.

Back