FTBs Band Together!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsmoney

Wouldn't it be great if FTBs banded together unionlike, and stayed away from the housing market for a good period of time. We've already seen what's been happening in the housing market over the last six months with prices stagnating. Another few months and we could do our bit to cause the whole thing to crash! Time we looked after our own 'vested interests'!
So, who's gonna get the ball rolling.... ? ;)

Presumably you'd like the ball to stop rolling shortly after you buy a house? ;)

Wouldn't it be great if FTBs banded together unionlike, and stayed away from the housing market for a good period of time. We've already seen what's been happening in the housing market over the last six months with prices stagnating. Another few months and we could do our bit to cause the whole thing to crash! Time we looked after our own 'vested interests'!
So, who's gonna get the ball rolling.... ? ;)

I presume this is a joke. I don't think anyone could be ignorant enough to firstly think your little plan could work and secondly to not understand the impact a crash could have on the overall economy.

I suppose the question of whether it's a good thing to prop up an entire economy with inflated house prices and a buoyant construction industry is another discussion entirely.

whatsmoney, market forces will bring house prices to their proper level eventually. I don't think there's any need to "band together" with other FTBs as this will eventually occur of its own accord.

Remember a house is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay - no more, no less.

well selftitled "southsideboy" (gotta laugh), i just put the idea out there for general discussion. nothing wrong with that is there? i wouldn't presume for a second that i could singlehandedly bring about the ruination of the country.....

i do expect there are vendors/investors who don't like pondering the idea,
but as an idea i think that while it is farfetched and most likely unworkable, the point was to plant the idea into the general public at large that we FTBs as a group can do more about the problem of rising houseprices than groan about the budget and outbid each other on inflated houseprices. we are a large group with one thing in common.

stand back for a bit, don't be willing to pay the prices that are asked, and the market may respond accordingly. the housing market is built on a lot of factors, public perception being one. if it changes, then perhaps house prices will too. also, there's nothing wrong with bidding below the asking price on houses or just registering interest when looking at a house.... surprising how few people do this and start engaging in bidding wars with god knows who..... :)

and extopia i do agree with you on a house only being worth what you're willing to pay, that is exactly my point. but the problem for FTBs is trying to pay it. once it's bought, what it's worth to the buyer becomes largely irrelevant, as you have now become part of the property ladder where all properties are related pricewise. the only people a crash will hurt are mainly the investors who are preying on the market.... or at least used to. there's an increasingly large amount of property for sale out there!

found this interesting site which i believe is a very promising read... for some. maybe not for you southsideboy. :)
http://irishhousepricesfalling.blogspot.com/

Well I plan to move back from the U.K and rent, I don't think prices will drop substantially, % that is but with more houses on the market and fewer buyers chasing this should offer better choice and value for money(not that I think that exists in Ireland anymore) but a home is a home and a great big bloody expense:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back