FTB - Stamp Duty Query

ShaneMc

Hi,

I am a FTB and am thinking of buying a new house/ apartment. I was under the impression that once i am a FTB in a new development there is no stamp duty regardless of the value of the property. Am i correct?

Also if i buy a second hand house do i have to pay stamp duty if its over 317500?

Thanks

Not sure about the first bit, but if you're an FTB and buy a 2nd hand property worth over €317,500 and under €381,000 you pay half the normal rate of 6%, i.e. 3%.

"I was under the impression that once i am a FTB in a new development there is no stamp duty regardless of the value of the property. Am i correct?"

Correct if (a) you are not an investor and (b) the house is less than 125sq.metres. Even if it is over 125 sq. metres you may ( depending on the value of the property) not have a liability.

Check out the Revenue Booklet on Stamp Duty - SD10 for full details.

mf

In most cases, ShaneMc, you're right. There will be no stamp duty regardless of the cost of the new property, but only if you're an owner occupier. If you rent it out, you pay investor rates of stamp duty. Also, if the property is over 125sqm, you may have to pay some stamp duty.

Back