FTB Home Insurance

Last Time Buyer

Hi,
Just gone sale agreed on buying my first home in the last few days (woohoo!) and have been spent the weekend gathering paperwork, moving funds and googling valuers, surveyors, this, that and the other.

The one thing I am finding it hard to get my head around is organising home insurance. I've filled out the online quote forms on various providers' sites (AA is the best price so far). But I am not sure if I should even be going about it this way. I am wary that if I have provided some information incorrectly, that i would invalidate any subsequent policy. Specific examples:

Year built? The BER report says 1945 but i am sure this is inaccurate and its probably 1950s. But who knows? Does this have to be accurate?

Type of Building? Its an end of terrace but most forms don't have this option - so I've been putting in Semi-detached rather than Terraced.

Alarmed? Well, I know there is an alarm panel inside the door but I don't know who installed this and whether it is monitored, if its NSAI approved (or whatever) or even in working order. I might get more info on a follow up visit but am I better off saying not alarmed for now and taking the hit on the premium?

Start Date of Cover? All the forms, even the one or two that ask if you are a FTB, ask for a start date but of course I have no idea yet when this sale will close. How does this normally get arranged when buying?

As a FTB, should I just be ringing up for a quote and accepting that I won't get the a online discount?

Have you had three house surveyed yet? If not, give them your list of questions to answer whilst they examine the house.

Always better off not taking the alarm discount. For about 5%. You need to have it turned when you leave, even if its for 2 mins, has to be serviced and maintained etc.

Get quote online, and then phone up with your quote reference.
I've yet to see an insurer remove the online discount for new business.

Hi folks,
Thanks, that all sounds eminently sensible. Survey is this week. I think I was just overdosing on small print by last night!

Back