FTB Arklow or Tallaght so confused

justmum3

Hi we're finally in position after 7 years renting 2 buy 1st home:)...my head melted looking thru areas..we live in shankill and hubby works localish i'm stay home mum with 3 kids and dont want hubby commuting all day so looking at arklow or tallaght...i've read old posts but wonder can anyone enlighten me on these areas now???
Woodlands in arklow seems v affordable...is this good estate:confused:
Sundale walk tallaght has really great hse...how bout this???:confused:
Any advice re areas 2 look 4 or avoid..my kids 10, 5 ,1
Oh yeah trying 2 keep price below 300000...

sundale is in jobstown, is a rough spot. but i your looking under 300k might be a goer. dont know arklow well but to be blunt - most places would be better than jobstown - no offence to anyone there

Banishing yourself to the sticks in Arklow is a big decision unless you'll be working locally. Keep looking closer to Dublin.

Hi gosh from reading the posts regarding both areas i'm not 2 sure on any them...i want 2 stay within 40 min (ish) drive of hubbys job he works in cabinteely...wudn't mind going bit over 300000...any suggestions anyone???...i keep finding houses then when i look into areas they dont look so good:(....found some in rathnew??..if only shankill wasn't so expensive as i love it here:)

Tallaght does have a lot of points to argue for it. The M50 from there to Cabinteely is the least congested part of it and journey times will be well below 40 mins most of the time. It's on the Luas and might get the Metro eventually.

I would imagine that any of the houses in Tallaght worth less than 300k would not be very desirable areas (just from a quick look on myhome.ie), definitely not somewhere you would want to bring up your kids.

What about Balbriggan?

I don't really know that side of the city too well so excuse me if I'm way off :)

I live in arklow (and when I was looking for a house I actually looked at a house in Tallagh). I was put off by the amount of time it took to get there
(over an hour and the traffic was a nightmare, the house was small, and tallagh was covered in Litter).

40 mins from arklow to cabinteely is certainly very doable. I get into dun laogaire in under an hour most days

I know people who live in woodlands and I haven't heard of any problems there.

There is one drawback and thats the bends between the Beehive and Lil Doyles. If there is a crash or breakdown there, it can easily add an hour to your journey.
However there are alternative routes, and you just have to find them.

You will certainly get more value for your money in Arklow than in Shankill.
Also have a look at some of the houses which are not new builds.

The other advantage in arklow is that most places are within walking distance.

I would steer clear of Tallaght. Granted there are areas in Tallaght that are not so bad but I think you would always have to watch your back living there. You'd have less hassle in Arklow. My brother and sister live in Arklow and love it.
I'd prefer to live with a seaside view than a concrete jungle view any day as well

I think a three bed for under €300k means a pretty ropey area in Dublin. But hey that just shows how inflated prices still are so rent a wee while longer. It's nuts that you'd need 9 times the average industrial wage to live in an area where most people are unemployed! :eek:

If you could, try go for Wicklow town. I have family in both Arklow and Wicklow and Wicklow is a much nicer town to raise a young family in and you also avoid the hassle at lil doyles. Prices seem to be coming down, just seen a nice house there in brooklands for €310k, lovely area. I know a lot of houses are priced at about €340 but the way things are now, you may get one a bit cheaper. If it meant hanging on a couple more months it would certainly be worth it.
I live in Shankill too but if I had to move anywhere else it'd be Wicklow town, its a really nice spot.

If you could, try go for Wicklow town. I have family in both Arklow and Wicklow and Wicklow is a much nicer town to raise a young family in and you also avoid the hassle at lil doyles. Prices seem to be coming down, just seen a nice house there in brooklands for €310k, lovely area. I know a lot of houses are priced at about €340 but the way things are now, you may get one a bit cheaper. If it meant hanging on a couple more months it would certainly be worth it.
I live in Shankill too but if I had to move anywhere else it'd be Wicklow town, its a really nice spot.
agree, live in wicklow and it is the perfect place to raise children , rathnew is okay , ubt when it comes to your 10 year old wanting to head out with friends you will be driving to wicklow as that is the "hang out " spot.

also there are no secondary schools in rathnew so either way your son , when the time comes will be heading into wicklow.

if you decide on wicklow and have to change their schools , try to avoid st pats at all costs.

After week of head melting searches thru my home etc settled on arklow as v affordable and well the houses seem v big compared 2 boxes u get in dublin for twice price:confused:...haven't put in 4 our approval yet as know u only have ltd. time 2 draw down once approval granted but is it the done thing 2 go looking at houses prior 2 approval??..also i'm looking at woodlands and thru researching the house prices..( obsessive days on laptop!!)..i see some of them have already been reduced by 30000..so wud that b an amount 2 expect them all 2 come down by at least...one i'm v interested in is at 289000 (love their garden..:eek:) but exact same one already down to 235000..do i sit it out 4 while c if they drop or get approval and go in with low bid????...what wud b acceptable ???..sorry 4 all questions but thru reading past threads u guys dish out sound advice:D

Prices in Woodlands are falling fast. Many on the market for a long long time, I think you could make a silly offer. Its a large estate, personally I think there is better value to be had in Arklow/Wicklow.

Some of the older estates, more established, larger gardens and living spaces, mixed ages, handier to town.

sundale is in jobstown, is a rough spot. but i your looking under 300k might be a goer. dont know arklow well but to be blunt - most places would be better than jobstown - no offence to anyone there

Sundale is actually not in Jobstown. Anyway jobstown has become very settled now. I live in sundale and have been living here very happily for eight years with no trouble. our road is very quite and i have lovely neighbours, there are lots of children playing happily together, so i would thank you not to make presumptions about our area

After week of head melting searches thru my home etc settled on arklow as v affordable and well the houses seem v big compared 2 boxes u get in dublin for twice price:confused:...haven't put in 4 our approval yet as know u only have ltd. time 2 draw down once approval granted but is it the done thing 2 go looking at houses prior 2 approval??..also i'm looking at woodlands and thru researching the house prices..( obsessive days on laptop!!)..i see some of them have already been reduced by 30000..so wud that b an amount 2 expect them all 2 come down by at least...one i'm v interested in is at 289000 (love their garden..:eek:) but exact same one already down to 235000..do i sit it out 4 while c if they drop or get approval and go in with low bid????...what wud b acceptable ???..sorry 4 all questions but thru reading past threads u guys dish out sound advice:D

Hi justmum3, Ive just been reading about your situation. I have to say that I live in that exact place in Tallaght you originally thought about. I am living here for eight years and I am am very happy here. I feel quite insulted with some of the comments from other readers. Sundale is not in Jobstown and we have the most up to date facilities, here in Sundale there is a very good community spirit. I have a friend that viewed that exact house you mentioned and was very impressed, so just to let people know that Sundale is a very nice place to live despite what some people think who have probably never even been here, I wish you the best of luck in what ever area you decide on, but just a little tip, always check something for yourself before depending on someone else opinion, thanks

We live in difficult times. Unless your husband has a high degree of job security, you should ask your husband, if he lost his job tomorrow, where would he be more likely to get work - near Tallaght or near Arklow? You should take this into account in deciding.

we've been down 2 arklow few times and well its lovely place but i've always lived in dublin and have feeling the commute to my family would be very tiresome...saw lovely place in newtown mt kennedy but very overpriced so unless that comes down to realistic price we're back to tallaght!!..driving over today to have look at areas etc have list houses that I like:)..list includes..allenton ave,oldbawn park,tymon,
springfield,brookview drive,raheen....anyone know anything bout these places??..I'm looking at houses bit over my budget as well reckoning on getting them cheaper..;)

Back