FSPO complaint - GDPR non compliance by bank

Discussion in 'The Financial Services Ombudsman' started by cmalone, 3 Dec 2018.

1. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

came across scenario where complaint lodged to FSPO and bank provides evidence from their files, that was not released / denied existed under Data Protection Act Request.

How would the FSPO determine such a case ?

2. WhiteCoat

WhiteCoat Registered User

Hi cmalone,

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific query but it does seem a common enough theme for banks to have "lost" key correspondence or not provided all details under data disclosure. Personally, I am highly suspicious that this is just a coincidence.

I have two disputed loans - one of which has gone through the FSPO process, the other is still in the oven. Whilst I "won" the completed one, I found the FSPO staff well intended but weak.

3. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

Agree with that analysis. Similar weaknesses with Data Protection Commissioner’s Office due to backlog of cases ... the bank’s know to ‘play the game’ and they can say what they want..

in this instance the bank’s management claimed to DPC that important documentation/ notes on file regarding customer instructions were temporary in nature (post its/ verbal messages) and were not available ...

Fortunately the customer was able to show that the call centre staff actually sent emails to relevant departments per recorded calls and did not use post-it’s!

WhiteCoat likes this.