Frugal or Tightwad ?

jz1

Hi All

I just read that book "Millionaire next door" so Im trying to save money anyway I can.
As I would like to have a nice nest egg, and not worry about money one day.
However I'm worried Im getting addicted to saving money !!
some extreme examples
-im trying to live off 10 euro a week for food
-I try and spend / buy nothing unless I need it
-paid off my credit card in one go (1000euro)
-almost stopped drinking (dont smoke)
I have lots more..

Does anyone have any good tips to I can save more money so I can invest it ?? :)

Sell your car. If you don't have a car and pretty much walk or cycle every place STOP immediately. Try to bum lifts that way you won't burn so many calories and so won't have to eat so much and will find it easier to stick to the 10 euro a week on food. Tour the supermarkets each evening and get asmany free tasters as possible, this will also save on food. When phoning people on your mobile, just ring and hang up instead of texting. Dump the firends who don't call you back. Theres so many ways to save!!

jz1 said:
Hi All

I just read that book "Millionaire next door" so Im trying to save money anyway I can.
As I would like to have a nice nest egg, and not worry about money one day.
However I'm worried Im getting addicted to saving money !!
some extreme examples
-im trying to live off 10 euro a week for food
-I try and spend / buy nothing unless I need it
-paid off my credit card in one go (1000euro)
-almost stopped drinking (dont smoke)
I have lots more..

Does anyone have any good tips to I can save more money so I can invest it ?? :)

I think some balance might be in order, of course it's great to have a nice nest egg but do you only want to be comfortable when you are old, what about enjoying life now? I'm not saying don't find ways to save, just do it within reason. Living of 10euro a week for food sounds like overkill to me.

And in answer to your question, tightwad. :)

:)
Tesco has some great deals if you go at the right time
I bought a whole fresh duck for 85 cent, Chicken 50 cent (10 Legs)
Noodles are 13 cents, fish can be got for 50cents
I never pay more than 10cent for a loaf of bread... etc..
I know a few immigrant people and they are all at it - salting away loads of cash and shipping it back to China and the like

------
I really need my car though :(
As I commute to work
But I can call my friends from work for free (even have conference calls) :) unlimited internet use etc..
Free post service in work (I cant remember when I bought a stamp)
I used to bring in my household waste into work and put it in the bin in here
I dont pay waste charges! :)

Tesco has some great deals if you go at the right time
I bought a whole fresh duck for 85 cent, Chicken 50 cent (10 Legs)
Noodles are 13 cents, fish can be got for 50cents
I never pay more than 10cent for a loaf of bread... etc..
I know a few immigrant people and they are all at it - salting away loads of cash and shipping it back to China and the like

Let me guess - you live in Paraguay and are converting from the guarani ?

The food you're buying must be well off! I've never seen (nor would I want to eat) food that cheap...there's got to be something wrong with it, does it smell (bad)??? Dam099 is right, you've got to have some balance in your life man! I like to economise where I can BUT I don't wan't to eat very cheap and/or rubbish food, good food (and a decent drop of wine now and then) is one of the most primary joys of life! If I thought I'd have to subsist on low quality food i think I'd hang up the towel.

jz1 said:
Hi All

I have'nt read the "Millionaire Next Door", but I have read Thomas J. Stanley's excellent follow up book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0740703579/qid=1123256344/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4921643-8927824?v=glance&s=books ("The Millionaire Mind"). I'd recommend you read it too - its a bit more recent (2000 vs. 1998) and it really gets down and tells you why and how millionaires are well... so wealthy. It picks on the common traits of 1,371 surveyed millionaires - from their tendency to refurbish furniture than buy new to the fact that most of them only preformed "average" in school.

Those chicken legs must be the ones that McDonalds have already refused to use. I myself would prefer to befriend one of the canteen staff at work and have an ol nose around the kitchen before they start chucking stuff out at the end of the day.

Reminds me of old the story about the Dub waiting to be served in the chipper. He orders a chicken snack box, while he's waiting a child runs in and says "Da can I have a chicken drumstick?". Dad says; "Yah, now go an' wait in the bleedin' van". A minute later another child runs in "Da can I have a leg too?". Da says: "Yeah, now get back in de f**** van". Seconds later a third urchin runs in "Da can I have one too?". Da says: "Jaysus! It's not a bleeding spider I'm gettin', now get back in de f**** van!":)

I wouldnt go as far as taking the toilet rools in work home
(They are locked) ah no - really I wouldnt :).. have to draw the line somewhere dont ya.
But its perfectly ok to do the biz in work and get paid for it ..

:) Chicken with 10 legs :)
ah you know what I mean.. :)
(Pack of 10 legs only )

I had some already and I havnt gone blind or ended up in hospital yet
you just have to freeze them asap and use them when you need, chicken old or fresh has to be fully cooked anyway.

mm lets see... tonight I might have 50cent sausages with what ever I can find to go with it.

I do love food though, Steak, Lobster everything..It just makes me really look forward to going out to eat. On the occasion that I do eat out.

Sounds crazy but you get a buzz out of getting a great deal on food so cheap, and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

Well Im off home now ,might pop into tesco and see if there are any bargains...

If you pop into our local supermarket about 10 minutes before closing, the staff there sometimes (depends on who is manager) give out free bread, rolls, pies, even chickens. Otherwise the food ends up being dumped they told me! Not telling you where it is tho, I want to keep those freebies coming this way! Just check at your local (smallish) supermarket?

write a book called 'muppets next door' about how to sell books to fools promising them they will be rich shortly after reading it while you yourself make a fortune on the book sales

Re: Definitely Tightwad ?

"However I'm worried Im getting addicted to saving money !!"
"-im trying to live off 10 euro a week for food
-I try and spend / buy nothing unless I need it"

Life's too short to think this way. Keep your head above water but relax and enjoy life at the same time. Can't imagine there being much nutrition in €10 a week and don't forget its very costly if you get sick even if you have VHI etc.

are you a td living off subsidised canteen meals? or in the joy?
'barman is working away one morning when in comes a down and out and asks for a knife and fork. barman reluctantly gives them to him and out he goes. 10 minutes later in comes a 2nd down and out and asks for a spoon. barman says thats its a pub and not a restaurant but gives him the spoon anyway and away goes yer man. 10 minutes later in comes another down and outer and asks for a straw
barman loses it and asks what kind of establishement do they think it is anyway but again backs down and gives the straw. out of curiosity he asks the 3rd person why three people came in looking for knive & fork, spoon and now a straw. Down and outer replies ' somebody got sick outside your pub last night but all the good bits are gone, that's why I need a straw'
wasn't you by any chance?

Does nort sound like u have any hobbies and you are going to make this your prime one. Life's too short mate, you will be a long time dead.

I would like to have a nice nest egg, and not worry about money one day

I think people can become addited to saving for the future and not enjoy life while they are getting there. What is the magic age when you are suddenly going to allow yourself to enjoy life. By that time you will be so addited to saving money you will probably die with a million in the bank but have lived your life like scrouge!

I agree that everyone should save for their future but not to the detriment of their present! I would say 30 euro plus to be the minimum a single person could spend on food a week to have a balanced diet and that would be pushing it! Fresh fruit and vegetables are not THAT cheap. Ditto fish,meat,eggs etc....

Back