Frosty Weather - Warning

The council did a great job gritting the road where those two accidents happen last night. They heavily gritted a section of the road maybe .25 of a kilometre.

I was following a car who sped up fairly drastic, when this section finished it was back to a glassy icey road (outside a Roadstone Quarry) and he lost control nearly sending him into the ditch too!

Roscommon Co. Co. are great you know...

I got a fright this morning driving on an old country road when my car skidded and lost control.. luckily for us didn't crash or fall on the ditch. I was wondering if winter tyres would make a difference on icy roads. What do other people think?

I got a fright this morning driving on an old country road when my car skidded and lost control.. luckily for us didn't crash or fall on the ditch. I was wondering if winter tyres would make a difference on icy roads. What do other people think?

I'm glad you were ok.

Were you driving at a higher speed that you should have been? Did you brake? If so, tyres wouldnt make a difference.

Thanks Smash box.Yes I had to break as it's quite a narrow road and a car was coming from the other direction, I wouldn't normally break on icy roads but this particular morning there was black ice and I hadn't notice it...
I thought winter tyres might give a bit more grip on the road if not what are they for?? In other countries they fit winter tyres during the cold months and when the weather gets warmer they fit summer ones. I wonder why most people don't bother here considering our lovely climate...

I think we don't have it as bad as some countries, hence why we often don't switch from Summer to Winter ones... thats what I was told anyway when I enquired as to why some countries put chains on..

Black ice is the worst, at least its January now and hopefully will be getting a little warmer. The rain has also seemed to take the frost away.

I searched for 'Winter Tyre' and noticed that Pirelli do one. I guess if you have the cash spare, maybe you should think about it. Me, I'll just be snailing along!

http://www.pirelli.ie/web/car-suv-van/winter_collection/winter_why/winter_why/default.page

Back